Rucksack cover.(PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Ahoy peeps :D ......
I've not really posted anything of interest on this forum as yet....so thought I'd cast orf the ''cheeky pirate'' fer five minz t' share wi' ye a little discovery I've made.
Now we've all seen those discarded umbrellas on the side of the road an' fillin' the binz after a squally day. Here, in Cardiff, after a windy match day, there's hundreds!. Well, I've found a use fer them!........
At first I was collectin' them an' makin' bags fer me kit.....then....a revelation!! :eek:
Why not a rucksack cover?........So I got t' work......here follows the planz.

Step 1- [de-rig the umbrella].....choose a large brolly......cut all the threads holdin' the ribbin' spines t' the cloth first, pop of the rib endz then slide orf the tip (some will go easy...some not). You should be left wi' this:
1.jpg

Stick the brolly skeleton in the recyclin'....ye won't be needin' it.
Step 2- Sew the center hole up:
2.jpg

Step 3- Hem up the outer edge..(makin' sure ye're doin' it t' the inside)....try t' leave a gap all the way round, fer the cord/bungee also leave an inch gap when ye meet where ye started(t' allow fer the cord exit)....duh!.
3.jpg

Step 4- Thread the cord/bungee........The easiest way I've found is t' pop orf the end of a biro....slide in the cord.....replace the end, trappin' cord.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Step 5- Place rucksack in center o' inside o' cover:
8.jpg

Step 6- pull both endz o' the cord ......hey presto!!.....kit bag cover!! :D
9.jpg

t' finish orf......add one o' those little cord toggle thingys fer ease o' use liken.
ten.jpg

Not the best cover in the world....but cheap an' wi' a bit o' a spray wi' the ol' FABSIL.........rain resistant. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a beltin job matey,

I had a cover for my bergen and lost it recently :( blew away in the peaks the other day.....

If you get to makin a few more lemme know ;)

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
dwardo said:
Thats a beltin job matey,

I had a cover for my bergen and lost it recently :( blew away in the peaks the other day.....

If you get to makin a few more lemme know ;)

I'm up t' about ten so far....all different...I find the bungee ones are the best, as they are ''one size fits all''.... :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fan-bloomin-tastic Cap'n,
A great way to recycle what other folk have turned their back on.
Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one playing with a sewing machine today ;)
Medium Troglette wants her own Ogripod!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Well it is a tad squally fer outside work....so, back on the machine indoors... :D
got some more done t'day......
A lovely 'dunlop' Black number.....
eleven.jpg

A small black one fer me other halfs day bag..(made from one o' those ''pop up'' brollys).
twelve.jpg

An a cutie kitten one I found out on the street yesterday.......can we all say AWWWWWW.... :D :D
fourteen.jpg

fifteen.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE