rucksack advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I'm off to New Zealand at Xmas with the wife on honeymoon and I need a new bag, I cant stand suitcases and I don't want to use my Bergen that I use for bushcrafting for two reasons, I don't want to empty my kit out as nowhere to store it and also I'm thinking I want something I can easily access my clothes etc without emptying the whole thing should I need something at the bottom, so I'm looking for ideas, has anyone seen or had/used a bag with at least 70 litres, proper rucksack straps, I like to carry my bag not drag it behind me bashing into things, only thing I'm concerned about is the said straps getting damaged by conveyor belts etc in transit. advice please, thanks in advance, Gregor.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
You can use a flight bag for your rucksack, my Highlander Forces backpack has a rain cover that doubles as flight bag.
Some backpacks have zippers along the entire front of the bag allowing easy access, I don't think they're very durable but would be easier to pack and unpack individual items... Here's a Youtube video of a backpack that has this kind of front opening, to give you an idea.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Congratulations on having your honeymoon in the best country in the world.Most of the major rucksack manufacturers make a travel type Bergen where the harness can be zipped behind a fabric panel. In rucksack mode you are getting a compromise as you are getting zip closure etc...Something like this...http://store.berghaus.com/webapp/wc...ravel+Luggage^Travel+Packs_Equipment_Whatever you end up with if you are bringing any 'bushcraft' or camping kit with you make sure it's clean and spotless.MAF are very particular.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Osprey crescent or aether.
They both have side zips to open the whole side of the pack and both have bottom compartments and as with all osprey stuff it's top quality and bombproof.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Berghaus vulcan or something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUSEiHgn5lo&feature=relmfu

How much do you have to spend ?

that berghaus one looks spot on although a wee bit pricey, I didn't want to spend much more than £70. there is a slightly smaller version of that berghaus that may be ok, bit small though, needs to take 3 weeks worth of clothes, if I weren't with the wife that would consist of a change of pants and a toothbrush, however she will want me to actually clean myself and change ALL of my clothes! bloody women! lol

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
thanks for all the advice guys, gone for the berghaus jalan, I like the fact it zips up to conceal the rucksack straps so they won't get chews off in a conveyor belt and baggage handling! plus the zip off day sack will come in really handy once were over in NZ on day trips etc, it's not as big volume wise as I was looking for ideally but I figure 75 litres full of clothes will be pushing the limits of the 20kg limit anyways. thanks again all. Gregor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE