Rought horsetail (Equisetum hyemale)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Soon it is time to collect rought horsetail (Equisetum hyemale) for the seasons needs of rought horsetail. Collect them when they are fresh (these are last years plants, not as good the fresh ones, in my experience), collect in bound bundles and use as scouring "pads" for all your brutal cleaning need. Removes rust, stubborn burnt in food, scours enamel, probably removes teflon coatings as well. Also usefull as a sandpaper substitute.

Dampen before use; the dried stems are fragile.

One warning: if you cut them with your knife you will need to sharpen it, if you use a pair of scissors they will also need sharpening, if you use someones sacred fabric scissors you will need to join the Foreign Legion (the silica that makes them usefull as scrubbers also eats steel edges.).

equisetum_hyemale.jpg

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have recently become converted to its use. It does a very good job on wooden knife handles, I would even say it does a better job than sandpaper! I have some next to our garden pond, just a shame its very little! I need to find a more plentiful supply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE