Rough Ryder pocket knives

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
Hello All ,
I know there was a thread on here about ten years ago relating to Rough Ryder pocket knives but I would just like to revive the subject because of increasing popularity in this brand . Now I know they are never going to be up there with some of the top manufacturers but because of their reasonably low price range and after reading numerous reviews etc they do seem very good value for money for what they are . I am only a collector of various knives these days and after carrying out my research have decided to start a small collection of Rough Ryders which by all accounts have a reasonable fit and finish ( many with bone scales ) and can hold their own against the more popular Case knives and indeed other manufacturers .
Any members of the forum here have any experience with these knives ? or own any , if sso would be good to hear your views . Thanks

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
I have a large stockman with the yellow plastic scales that I use as a general purpose knife around the house. I thought I'd try it out and get a nicer one if I liked the pattern. The different blade types are very useful.

Now it's not perfect. The spring on the spey blade is a little weak. When it arrived the edges of the spacers were too sharp in hand for my office hands. I used a small file to smooth them out. It came sharp enough... but not to my liking.. so got sharpened immediately.

I've used it for garden work (opening bags of compost, cutting bamboo sticks to size, etc.) As a utility knife in the house and shed (marking wood, pencil sharpener, cutting tips off of caulk tubes, things like this) and even a bit of food like cleaning fish and skinning chickens (doctor's orders and the spey blade is super good for it).

The edge holds up just fine and strops up really quickly. Very easy to maintain. It's only seen the stone in January. I like the steel better than my SAKs for what thats worth. I don't cut cardboard and anything I think could be unsafe with a slipjoint goes to a fixed blade. So not hard use. Just cutting.

Not perfect... but much better than the price of it would suggest. If you want something that's perfect it's not for you... if you want something that works maybe it is. I think it's a good tool.

Keep in mind that I have a sample size of 1 and only 8 months straight of use... not daily but most days.

Reactions: airborne09

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have a little toothpick, I like the aesthetic, but it is useful for package opening, string cutting, making holes in things and I have used it for cutting leather so it does hold an edge, never mind everything I have said in the past about made in China.

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I have a large stockman with the yellow plastic scales that I use as a general purpose knife around the house. I thought I'd try it out and get a nicer one if I liked the pattern. The different blade types are very useful.

Now it's not perfect. The spring on the spey blade is a little weak. When it arrived the edges of the spacers were too sharp in hand for my office hands. I used a small file to smooth them out. It came sharp enough... but not to my liking.. so got sharpened immediately.

I've used it for garden work (opening bags of compost, cutting bamboo sticks to size, etc.) As a utility knife in the house and shed (marking wood, pencil sharpener, cutting tips off of caulk tubes, things like this) and even a bit of food like cleaning fish and skinning chickens (doctor's orders and the spey blade is super good for it).

The edge holds up just fine and strops up really quickly. Very easy to maintain. It's only seen the stone in January. I like the steel better than my SAKs for what thats worth. I don't cut cardboard and anything I think could be unsafe with a slipjoint goes to a fixed blade. So not hard use. Just cutting.

Not perfect... but much better than the price of it would suggest. If you want something that's perfect it's not for you... if you want something that works maybe it is. I think it's a good tool.

Keep in mind that I have a sample size of 1 and only 8 months straight of use... not daily but most days.
Interesting , you seem to have had a reasonable amount of use from it . To be honest Ive ordered four from HH for a small collection only . Ive had two in the past which were very good for the price but gifted them to people .

airborne09

Forager
Dec 9, 2016
North East
I have a little toothpick, I like the aesthetic, but it is useful for package opening, string cutting, making holes in things and I have used it for cutting leather so it does hold an edge, never mind everything I have said in the past about made in China.
Got to say I like the aesthetics and no doubt they will in general light use be very useful knives

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE