Rough Close vandalised

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A crying shame - I hope that it is soon back up to its usual excellence.
I have enjoyed many stays there and the team do an excellent job of looking after it - but the mindless few will always want to spoil the pleasure of those they envy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
This is a location we use quite often. Lovely site, great people. I was so sad to hear this and the Steam Tent Co-operative will be having a collection at our camp there over Easter to try and help.

It's not the first time and probably won't be the last. It is within walking distance of a local "estate" and with the best will in the world, the volunteers cannot be everywhere at all times.

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
Never heard of the place, but now thanks to BCUK I have.

Will be looking them up and booking something in with them in the future. Am sure others will do the same.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hate hearing about vandalism, and more so in a place like Rough Close which is such a really excellent site, and has so much effort put into it by volunteers.
It only takes a few ill intent cretins to cause so much hassle and upset.

To be honest, I think their parents ought to make financial reparations to have everything replaced and repaired at full Tradesman's rates....and if they choose to then ground their brats and stop any cash to them until it's paid back, then that strikes me as only fair.

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Given that the world is over-populated (and I have been enjoying both good whisky and good wine) and the natural resources are limited - why waste good oxygen on crud like these perps.
Bring back "retroactive family planning" and re-employ Jack Ketch!
I will probably regret this post in the morning - but at the moment I cannot feel any compassion/empathy/sympathy for the scum that cause or let their offspring cause misery for the more positive members of society,
Bleeding hearts may champion their cause but I say "bleeding ... well I had not go further or I may get a ban!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I could probably wade into this thread ;)

(Once my health picks up I'll endeavour to get a Meet booked ~ to coincide with TORM, perhaps ...)

I more than suspect that the site appreciates well wishes voiced here.

Please don't argue or wrack yourselves over this, it's not worth it and just serves to perpetuate any feeling of the control gained from the vandalism.

It hasn't ruined the site ~ it's a small area of the site. And the site has three additional toilet blocks ;)

And yes, a huge part of the problem is that there are almost no facilities or options for the local kids or even the adults ... not an excuse for the behaviour, just one reason.

Again, thanks for the voices of support.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Get well soon Phil

And yes, a huge part of the problem is that there are almost no facilities or options for the local kids or even the adults ... not an excuse for the behaviour, just one reason.

Love the irony that a scout site was vandalised cause the yoof had nothing to do...:rolleyes2:

Reactions: Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A rather lovely irony, isn't it ;)

But then there isn't actually a scout group on their local patch ~ well, not within a few miles ... ;) :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm very aware that some who tread/read these here boards would have thought nothing of walking 10 miles each way having had anything more than a bowl of gravel for breakfast ~ and then only because it was a special occasion and the gravel was on sale ...

Then is not now ... I keep thinking of the phrase "The older I get, the better I was" ... now kids are disrespectful, when 'we' did it we were being cheeky and, besides, the old stuffed shirt deserved it ... ;) perception is a great thing.

Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely not excusing the little scrotes who pop up and damage the site, far from it ~ and it's not always _just_ lads ... equality at large ;) :( . But then I've actually spoken to some interlopers whilst walking them off site ;-) (Including six in one go, a week after the vandalised toilet block)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE