Rough Close Meet 16 - 18 January 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
At the moment it would seem that mentioning weather won't bring down much more than we're forecast to get ;) :yikes:

At the moment it's likely to be rain and/or sleet and/or rain ... generally coming in horizontally! :Wow: :umbrella: :canoe:

Excellent news, better to be prepared for the worst with the prospect of being pleasantly surprised.

I'll bring my inflatables: raft, caravan and maid.

We may not need to centre rig the parachute if we get the SAP stove under it. :lmao:

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
(Yes I'm still a member☺.)

I'm determined not to give up weekend camps and had hoped I would make it to this one but I have to admit that I am getting too soft for winter ones.

Have a great time

Chris

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

1. decorum
2. Udamiano
Phaestos (TBC)
4. TinkyPete (TBC due to work and also family birthdays means I hope I can pop in but might be able to stay, it happens when you have a 50th and 80th birthdays in the family)
5. Wayland (TBC But only if I can get my accounts done before then..)
6. Midnitehound
7. Neil and Clare
8. Rob
9. ?

10. Andy BB (TBC)

I might be able to find a bottle or two of something ...interesting....

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Excellent news, better to be prepared for the worst with the prospect of being pleasantly surprised.

'What's the worst that can happen?' is, in general, never a good ponder! :rofl:

I'll bring my inflatables: raft, caravan and mermaid.

Fixed it for you ;)

We may not need to centre rig the parachute if we get the SAP stove under it. :lmao:

I'm still figuring out if what I have will a) Get it up and b) keep it there ... :eek: :lmao:
At this point in time I'm wondering/considering whether rigging it as more of a cone would be a better method than as full a spread as possible :confused: :dunno: :Thinkingo

(Yes I'm still a member☺.)I'm determined not to give up weekend camps and had hoped I would make it to this one but I have to admit that I am getting too soft for winter ones.

Glad to hear you're still up for a wood time :D . I'd not be concerned about getting too soft for winter forays ... it just means you're the sensible one ;) :D

I might be able to find a bottle or two of something ...interesting....

You know, sometimes I'm really glad that I can't drink ... :yikes: :rofl:

More in common with super cars than unleaded and 4 star?

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Sorry guys, I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one.

I'm up to my neck with work and still not quite done with the accounts.

Hope you all have a good one.

And here we have an example of a Viking raid being halted by paperwork. :viking:

We'll make sure your portion of stew doesn't go to waste. ;)

See you in March.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry guys, I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one.

Sorry you'll not make it. Hopefully we'll catch you good in March :D EDIT: March Meet thread link

A quick tidy up of the list.

Meet List:

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

1. decorum
2. Udamiano
Phaestos (TBC)
4. TinkyPete (TBC)
5. Midnitehound
6. Neil and Clare
7. Rob
8. Andy BB (TBC)

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Sorry guys - gotta pull out of this one - family issues. Pity as at last getting some proper temps!

Have fun.

Meet List:

1. decorum
2. Udamiano
Phaestos (TBC)
4. TinkyPete (TBC)
5. Midnitehound
6. Neil and Clare
7. Rob

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry guys - gotta pull out of this one - family issues. Pity as at last getting some proper temps!

Sorry you missed it Andy but, as you say, real life has to take precedence. Sub zero both nights ;) :p

Thanks to those who made it along and sorry to miss those who missed us ~ March is the next one ;)

Not many pics from me :eek:

I discovered the 'joys' that is 'chute rigging ... but it eventually went up :D

Still lots to learn on that score! :eek: :rofl:

Friday night saw a short influx of the snowy equivalent of polystyrene balls

Rob took the chance to try out his Swiss Army double burner stove ~ a fantastic bit of kit, really well thought out for use in the field (or woods :p )

A couple of hours in digging out one of the old ditches ...

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Thanks Phil for a great weekend away in the woods, it was good fun and those that didn't get there missed out. Hopefully a good number will make the March meet up.

Also thank you for taking the time to acquire and rig the parachute, it really made the weekend.

The food was yummy, tatty, neeps and fried haggis for Friday dinner, monster breakfasts and a fantastic cauldron cooked sweet potato beef stew for dinner Saturday.

My longest memory will be my axe made Swedish Fire Torch after discovering that the chainsawed one was fireproof. :lmao:

Be careful you don't cut yourself on that credit card. ;)

Last edited:

Rob.L.

Sep 1, 2014
Somerset
Hello Phil,

A belated thanks for a great weekend.

Weather was really good, so nice to wake up to frosty leaves and dusting of snow.

Looking forward to meeting more folk from this forum.

My refractory cypress wood sweedish fire torch will never be forgotten thanks to Phillip.

Mk II will not fail......!!

Rob.L.

Sep 1, 2014
Somerset
I have given the whole stove a good service and have tried my own fuel mixture which seems to give much improved simmering. Priming with Methanol is also an improvement, no black soot on my face!

My next project is a nice strong rack which can be dismantled and kept in the box with the stove. Some Aluminium windshields would also be good. Nice to have it working and not sat idle in my workshop.

The modified MSR stove in my collection is REALLY good fun, Burns only paraffin at a rate of 1 litre in 40 mins! Not safe for use in a tent......

See you soon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE