Rough Close - July 2011 - Pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
A different pitch at Rough Close this time, we were towards the back of the site using the "Leaders Training Field" which meant we had the use of an area of principally spruce with the usual RC mix of broadleaved trees, hazel youngsters and holy bushes. However we also had a sun-trap field better than my lawn and both water and toilet block onsite. A relatively quiet weekend on site we hardly saw or heard any youngsters all weekend other than our visitors - see below.

My setup and Warbonnet Blackbird that postie had just brought, getting it right is going to take a bit of practice I think!

RC-July2011-001.jpg

RC-July2011-005.jpg

Other views of the main pitch

RC-July2011-002.jpg

RC-July2011-003.jpg

On Saturday afternoon Wayland presented his Viking experience and is about to arrange a marriage amongst our visitors from Decorum's scout group

RC-July2011-004.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yep - best meet ever for me - people, weather, site were all brilliant and Wayland's Viking talk was an extra bonus - it was too good just for kids (like so many other things) so we were fortunate to be able to sit in and listen - and learn too. So thanks to Phil for organising it for us.

My new sleeping arrangements – 2” memory foam mattress on an Exped downmat 7 gave me a better night’s sleep than I have had in many hotels. And when Steve lent me a camp bed it became really luxurious. (If you hadn’t realised I am going for comfort.)

As always I picked up loads of useful information and tips - particular thanksto MartinK9, Mesquite and Wayland for that and extra special thanks to MartinK9 and Mesquite for their help in trying toget my rope down from the tree when it got stuck!

Anybody who feels they are a ’book/theoretical’ bushcrafterand not yet dipped their toe in the leaf litter should come along – you will learn loads and have a great time.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great pics of a great meet, wish i could've made it down for a bit longer.

i may have spoken a little too soon about my avoidance of insect bites, RC got me better than ever this time, i'll get a photo up in a bit but please be warned, it's not pretty!

stuart

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That looks great I am not one for meets etc but this great post has actually made me feel I missed out on something special
I would have loved to have sat in on Waylands talk; his Viking demo looks packed with interesting things
I like the photos of the varied set ups
Thanks for sharing with us PeterH and MartinK9

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Great photos Peter and Martin as always.

Another awesome meet, tried a few new things one which didn't work but came out with an alternative way to get it to work thanks Phil,Steve and Martin for the Ideas.

Sort some more set up ideas and cemented others.

Must remember to eat next time and sensible times and not get distract with talking and other stuff:)

Gary's talk was amazing: Normans were Vikings who went a bit French :rofl:

Great to meet everyone and those lucky ones with a bit more time there enjoy :)

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
great pics guys looks like you all had another good wekend. sorry i dident make it even for just a few hours on saturday just wasent feeling well enough.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Thanks for the pics guys. Neat to see Chris' climbing gear in action. Martin, I like the little portable table at your setup. What is the brand of the water bladder you have hanging? Nice (fancy) kuksa,too. I like the picture of Wayland shooting the rigging lines into the treetops, his clothing speaks volumes on practicality and utility, nice!. Outstanding job on the chicken Gary and Deb. Is that a wolf or coyote pelt in your demo?

Gordy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
View attachment 6905
Thanks for the pics guys. Neat to see Chris' climbing gear in action. Martin, I like the little portable table at your setup. What is the brand of the water bladder you have hanging? Nice (fancy) kuksa,too. I like the picture of Wayland shooting the rigging lines into the treetops, his clothing speaks volumes on practicality and utility, nice!. Outstanding job on the chicken Gary and Deb. Is that a wolf or coyote pelt in your demo?

Gordy

Thanks Gordy, The Water bladder is a 2 Ltr Waterbelt from Ortlieb:

USA: http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-260.htm

UK: http://www.rockandrescue.co.uk/mili...m=ppc&utm_term=1847&utm_campaign=froogle#1847

As Gary is away, I'll answer the pelt question:

If I remember correctly it is a Wolf pelt

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Big thank you to Phil for organising another great meet, not so many people for this one but I think we all had a good time.

Glad you all enjoyed the Viking talk too.

Meet_Rig.jpg

I had my usual meet up rig with me and Debs took to a tent pitched nearby.

French_Windlass_on_Fire_Rig.jpg

I was playing with a slightly different fire rig which I'll explain better elsewhere.

Ponassed_Chickens.jpg

The chickens were really tasty so Skadi only got a little bit in her bowl.

Gypsy_Rig_in_post.jpg

The communal fire pit had a hard base so I had to experiment a bit to set my gypsy rig up over it.

Waylands_Canopy.jpg

We moved down to another area after the meet to work with the scouts for a few days.

Waylands_canopy_in_day.jpg

It gave us a chance to try our new parachute canopy shelter which served us well in both rain and shine.

Waylands_canopy_at_night.jpg

And another thanks to Phil, Rosie, Joan and Brian for their good company and valuable friendship.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE