Rosewood puuko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Here are some images of a knife I finished today....

Rosewood puuko1.jpg

Rosewood puuko2.jpg

Rosewood puuko4.jpg

Rosewood puuko3.jpg

The blade is ground from 3mm O1 heat treated to 56 HRC. It is 85mm long and 25mm wide and has a single bevel ground at 24 degrees.

The handle is Indian rosewood and the bolster is moose antler.

Please feel free to comment.

Michael

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Very nice realization indeed!

Two personal observation:
I wouldn't call it a proper "puukko", but more a "brukskniv/tollekniv" due to low bevel and ricasso. Those two features are common on swedish and norvegian knives, not on finnish puukkos. ;)
You will use it for carving and general use? 56 HRC sound a bit soft to me...

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
I think HRC 56 would be just right for this knife. It would make it an EDC for me and would hold its edge for long enough given its (no doubt) everyday green/wood use and make it a doddle to maintain. Looks like it would be great for doing rough little spoons and other 'green' tasks.

I think too many modern knives are far too hard - but I guess that's marketing for you.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very elegant and wonderfully done. HRC 56 is fine. I have bunches of knives in that range and they all function quite well. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE