Roof tent Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
no previous experince of any roof tent , but would have thougth that a decent access and a decent roof rack,rails would be prime requirement, as i say no previous knowledge, but i really fancy a 4x4 delicia type motor, let us know how you get on.
atb,
ship

garethw

Settler
Hi there
These are really for overland expedition type 4x4’s and will add a lot of weight high up on the car increase your fuel consumption dramatically, but you’ll never pay for another hotel!! LOL
As has been said a sturdy roofrack is a must or three strong roof bars… Most tents weigh around 50 to 60 kgs so they need to be well fixed…
You have two types of tent the canvas fold out type… these take up les room of the roof so you can add other items, but once wet take a good while to dry out and you shouldn’t really fold away wet…
Second choice is the hard fibre glass type, like a giant roof box, that winds up with a crank. This is the type I had… goes up in seconds is very comfy… and folds away almost as fast. Just about the only down side is that it takes up the whole roof.
Mounting these items is fair operation and really needs at least two people… manoeuvering 60kg is not easy, so once it’s on it’s on!!! Off the car they are huge pieces of kit to store..
I found mine brilliant it was a Maggiolina Adventure and we used it a lot, including an 800 km trip across the top of the Pyrenees…
There are cheap models on the market but I’d suggest a second hand model of a good brand.
Eezi Awn or Howlingmoon for the canvas fold out type
Or Maggiolina by Autohome or James Baroud for the hard shell type…
A good brand will be easier to sell on once you have had a few years fun!!

Cheers
Gareth

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
I had an Autohomes Columbus on top of a Citroen Despatch van. Fantastic bit of kit, up and down in seconds, with the double bed already made up inside and very comfortable and warm. Didn't make any difference to fuel consumption at all due to the streamline shape. I toured all over Scotland using mine, camping in -12 and was as warm as toast.
I would buy one again in a heartbeat, but the wife prefers the motorhome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE