rolling rolling rolling rawhide! (wanted)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You must be at the same stage as me. I made a handle today for the RM crooked knife I got for Christmas. I was looking to use paracord. Is rawhide going to be better?:)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
WANTED: has anyone got a strip (thong not jokes lol) of rawhide about a metre long to tie a crook knife blade to a handle.

Steve

There is an easy source of rawhide that is likely right near you.

Go to a pet store and purchase a rawhide chew bone for dogs (one of the kinds with knots in the end).

Soak it lukewarm water for about 10 hours and you can then unknot it and unroll the rawhide. The chew bones typically have an outer casing of leather that is the largest part (the outside of the "bone" so to speak) and inner filler of smaller leather bits.

You can cut the thongs you need from this and when it dries again it will be rock hard.

Chewbones make a great source for hafting material. Good luck.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To get maximum length of thong cut it in a spiral from your piece of rawhide, once it is unfolded flat and allowed to dry out to the firmness of light card/thick paper (ie not too floppy) then soak it again and stretch it straight.
If you try cutting it to soft I find it tricky to get an even thickness to the thong.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
thanks for the quick reply, i ll also be visiting the pet shop tomorrow. Wanted to use rawhide instead of paracord in the hope it would shrink on when dry am i right in saying that?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
is it the rawhide dog chew thats are golden/brown or the white stuff?

It can be both colours, all depends on whether or not it's been dyed or flavoured.

What you're looking for is something that appears to be rolled up thick cardboard that hasn't been compressed into a shape

lmanton

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I would really like to see any pictures of the finished articles please? I was intending to buy one of those RM Crook Knife Blades and have a go myself....:) Sounds like I need to visit a Pet Shop also. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE