Roll/sleep mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What is everyone using these days? I need a new one, full length, durable, comfy and hopefully when not in use not too bulky. I’am six foot tall and really heavy.

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have an old Thermarest which is pretty good.
I also have a Costco one which is quite bulky and leaks.
But because it has a foam core, it is still comfortable when deflated.
The leak is around the valve so I can’t fix it. If I saw them in Costco again I would probably get another one, but it is car camping only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Age old dilemma …….

I currently use a cheap Trekology inflatable one ( not leaking so far ) that replaced a leaky Alpkit Cloudbase and/or a Thermarest Z mat although I hanker after a Thermarest Neoair but at the price would I emotionally survive a puncture :aarghh: of it ……..

To be fair the Z mat is comfy and will never deflate …...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Been using a 3/4 length British Army version for a few years, small and light and has been great for spring, summer and autumn use so far!

Cheers
Louis

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
British Army 3/4 length self inflating mat. Rolls up nice and compact, is very light and surprisingly comfortable and I’m a big lad! Picked mine up for about 25 quid I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, I own an airmat too, the Clymit Inertia O-Zone Recon Sand.

It's very intelligent designed, very light and comfortable. I use it mainly in France on stony camping grounds.

I protect it with the thin German army folding mat, which I usually use, if needed on a few sticks.

But in my opinion air mats aren't bushcraft equipment.

I never would get the idea to sleep on an airmat next to a fire.

In warm conditions just a poncho is nice too. Most forest ground is pretty soft and grass anyway.

Endicotts sells British army roll mats for winter use. To get one of these seems a good idea to me.

But yes, I totally agree with Mr Wolf, that sticks and twigs are the way that I would call bushcrafty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE