Roe deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Up here in this part of the Chilterns there is an expanding herd of Roe deer. Yesterday I recieved a 'phone call from a lady describing a place locally where she had seen an injured deer. I went hunting about in that area and came upon a Roe doe of this years vintage lying quite near the side of the road. I did a careful observation from about six feet away and saw that she had a broken foreleg. I stood and thought for a while on how to get her to a place where she could be repaired. I then went to get some help and some mats to move her comfortably. Funny isn't it when you want help there is never anybody about!
I found my wife at the farm and we gathered some dog rugs and went back to the deer. We gently rolled her onto a rug and used it as a strecher to get her into the back of the LR and used the other rug to pad out. My wife rode in the back to stop her moving about and I slowly drove to a veterinary hospital about 6 miles away. They then took her care over. I hope that she survives,and will 'phone later today to find out.
This is the second Roe doe that I have taken to this animal hospital, the other was in january (pelvic injury). This one is running in the suckler herd nearby the hospital and we saw her there looking very fine as we drove home yesterday.
A little note here...aimed at Wayne, thanks mate for the first aid course, it certainly improved my handling of this injury! We did not practice on any animals during the course. (and I won't start down that slope! :p :rolleyes: )
This hospital is called St Tiggywinkles as it started out tending hedgehogs and has grown into a hospital capable of handling all but the biggest of animals. We are lucky to have it so near.
Swyn.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Swyn

Just a word of caution, a friend hit a red deer year before last in the Galloway forest not wanting to pass up a free meal or two he put the deer into the back of his Daihatsu 4 track, no mean feat in itself.

Half way home he heard and felt movement behind him on looking over his shoulder it became evident that the beast was not dead. He pulled to the side of the road and opened the rear door to let it out but before it left it broke two windows and shredded the interior.

I saw the 4 track about two weeks latter and it was a mess.

Hope your roe does OK.

Pothunter.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Swyn,

well done on your handling of the injured doe.

Andy

pothunter said:
Hi Swyn

Just a word of caution, a friend hit a red deer year before last in the Galloway forest not wanting to pass up a free meal or two he put the deer into the back of his Daihatsu 4 track, no mean feat in itself.

Isn't it illegal to pick up your own road kill? :eek:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's interesting that the Deer Commission for Scotland advise against treating injured wild deer and advocate humane killing instead. http://www.dcs.gov.uk/manage_caringForDeer.htm

However, the reasons they give for this are the serious logistical problems of treating an injured deer - which is certainly the case in Scotland. If you have the wild animal hospital up the road that is a different situation.

Interestingly the law on humane killing of injured wild deer is different in Scotland (and, as in other areas, the law is rather more sensible and logical north of the border :) )

In Scotland any humane method may be used. In England even humane killing at close range has to be done with specified firearms and this can cause unnecessary delay.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
having been in this situation a couple of times ive looked into this a little. Roe deer are espically prone to there hearts giving out when stressed as my local deer park tells me. So they are best put down as humanly as possible.
is it ok to post what they said ?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Andy

Strictly speaking road kill belongs to the Highways Authority or Local Authority unless it moves onto neighbouring land when it becomes the property of the landowner. The advice is also that the meat is not fit for human consumption and that the carcass should be destroyed.

Any other action can only be based upon circumstances surrounding a particular incident, in straying from the letter of the law then an individual may be open to prosecution.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
pothunter said:
Hi Andy

Strictly speaking road kill belongs to the Highways Authority or Local Authority unless it moves onto neighbouring land when it becomes the property of the landowner. The advice is also that the meat is not fit for human consumption and that the carcass should be destroyed.

Any other action can only be based upon circumstances surrounding a particular incident, in straying from the letter of the law then an individual may be open to prosecution.

I like that - so if you hit something and `accidently` it flys onto the verge it's mine! :)

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
but then the land owner can have you done for stealing a deer ive never heard of it happening though. honestly officer i was just puting it into my car to take to the police station :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE