Roe Deer in South Wales

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Was out and about in my local patch on Friday, the first time in a long time because of all the work hours I'm putting in. As I sneaked along the forest edge, heard a bit of a rustle, expected to see a fox and up pops a Roe deer, doe, who looked at me with pretty much the same amount of surprise as I felt and then dashed off into the woods. From the state of the grass it looked as if it had found a good place to lie up during the day.

Anyway, I was wondering if any other South Walians had seen Roe? From my googling it looks like there aren't any reports roughly south of the Heads of the Valleys road. More precisely the sighting was less than half a mile from the housing estate I live in in Bridgend. I know there's someone else plays in these woods, found a plastic sheeting shelter not far from this sighting.

Guess I'll need to check for ticks now when I come back from playing out.

ATB
Andrew

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
There were roe at Margam a few years ago, so it could be the ofspring of some that escaped..
A Sika was taken near Pyle about two years ago, not sure where that one came from.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've seen the Fallow Deer at Margam, and the feral fallows living in the forestry above there, didn't know they had Roe as well. Most of the stuff I've read about Roes in Wales suggests it's more a case of natural expansion into Wales from England rather than escapes. I don't mind which way it came here. I was just pleased to see it... Didn't know about the Sika, that's very interesting...

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I was going to post a new Roe thread but I'll hi-jack yours :)

I was out in my local woods in Durham this morning and saw a lot of Roe, which are much greyer/blacker than the Roe in Cumbria - which are almost golden orange in the summer.

As I was walking along a path along a wooded ridge with steep drops on both sides a Roe doe followed very closely by a buck came up from the left, crossed the trail and descended the right-hand slope. This was about 10meters in front of me. One of my closest deer encounters this year.

What puzzled me is that when I reached the point were they crossed the trail there was a noticeable and quite offensive smell in the air. This quickly dissipated and a couple of meters further on there was nothing. I've never noticed this smell around Roe before. It's a little late for the Roe rut, which I understand runs from July-Aug, any ideas?

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
humm... I know they had them in north wales but I've yet to see any down this way. if you see them again send them this way (a few miles east of you)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I have it on good authority that a number of deer have been relased onto the dunes at Merthyr Mawr. Could be that they are starting to wander further afield. Where exactly did you see them? Would be especially interested in the location of the camp if it was on the dunes within the National Nature Reserve boundary.

Last edited:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Interesting... maybe a mile or so north of MM, close to the Swansea-London railway line. Wonder who released them at MM and why? Don't really mind because it makes a great addition to the local fauna... and gave me a chance to practice tracking yesterday....mmmm Roe Deer poo!

crwydryny

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2008
south wales
humm... hopefully I'll be in that area come spring for an aikido course maybe I'll have to swing by Merthyr Mawr before headding home, maybe I'll get lucky and spot one

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
The Roe that have been released on Merthyr Mawr are from the same lot as kept at Margam Park. They were released at the beginning of '08 as part of a reintroduction. I was rudely awaken from a mid-summers night bivvi by one. (shh....dont tell the fun police about bivviing on MM!!!!)

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
As the Reserve Manager for Merthyr Mawr Warren National Nature Reserve can I please remind BCUK members that overnight camping is not permitted on the reserve.

Anybody found camping on the reserve will be asked to leave in no uncertain terms and may even be reported to the Police if any of the Features of Interest of the Reserve have been damaged. The reserve is of European importance for its wildlife and is also designated as a Special Area of Conservation, a SSSI and a Scheduled Ancient Monument

I need not remind you that the Bushmoot is held on the campsite at Merthyr Mawr and if the number of incidents of camping on the reserve increase the Merthyr Mawr Estate may well review the use of the campsite by BCUK.

If anyone is interested in the wildlife / ecology of Merthyr Mawr please get in touch.

Thank You

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE