Robens Mescalero tipi / lavvu - budget Tentipi alternative?

Lucidone

May 4, 2014
Oxfordshire
Wondered if anyone has tried / been able to take a good look at one of these yet? On paper they look pretty good value for a basic (limited ventilation and heavier) 5m dia polycotton tipi / lavvu.

Last edited:

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Not bad price when compared to other canvas or polycottons. Have one in the local camping store and definately big enough for our family. Like the two zip system on the floor so you can roll it back from the entrance if needed, but didn't like the door zip only opens from the bottom up as on my smaller ripstop tipi a two way zipper allowing you to open from the top down can reduce the wet floor when hopping in and out in inclement weather. The other info I was looking for but couldn't find on the web easily (poor google fue) was yes to midge netting under the top hat vent but none covering the door. Hope this helps

Seabass

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2012
Borders, Scotland
I've got several nylon / synthetic tents of varying sizes & if I'm solo it's hammock and tarp. I'm only looking at Cotton / Polycotton materials. It won't be for lugging about more for base camp / family type scenarios. At £530 it seems to be one of the more cost effective options.

I'm considering emailing their marketing department and asking for a loaner to do a review / evaluate a purchase.

Option are;

Robens Mescalero - £530 including groundsheet Poly Cotton of unkown weight / quality
Green Outdoor - £760 100% cotton
Bison Tundra 8 - £900 whichever way you purchase - no groundsheet
Tentipi Safir 9 - £2250 including a £500 ground sheet.

Cheers

JC

firedfromthecircus

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
there
Resurrecting an old thread I know but wondering if there was any more info on this.
As mentioned above it is cheaper than other options and seems to be decent quality. Anyone tried one in the wild yet?

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Sea bass did you end up getting one? I'm quite tempted as well. Looks good but you never know until someone has tried it.
Russ

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
For it's worth, you can now get a very good quality 5m bell tent from numerous British manufacturers for £500.
Sorry about thread hijack but....

Links please Barney?
Or even just a recommendation?

I'm after a bell tent for family adventures (2 adults + 2 kids) ,
Is 5metres too small?
Cheers

:)

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Sorry about thread hijack but....

Links please Barney?
Or even just a recommendation?

I'm after a bell tent for family adventures (2 adults + 2 kids) ,
Is 5metres too small?
Cheers

:)

Apologies for slow reply, haven't been on here for a while. I've been look at getting one from a few different manufacturers, namely:

Soulpad.co.uk
Belltent.co.uk
Lifeundercanvas.co.uk

All three sell 5m bell tents on or around £500. Personally, I think I'm going to get mine from Belltent.co.uk as they're based in South London (fairly close to me) meaning I can visit the workshop and take a look at what I'm buying. You even get a free tea light chandelier which looks great!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Apologies for slow reply, haven't been on here for a while. I've been look at getting one from a few different manufacturers, namely:

Soulpad.co.uk
Belltent.co.uk
Lifeundercanvas.co.uk

All three sell 5m bell tents on or around £500. Personally, I think I'm going to get mine from Belltent.co.uk as they're based in South London (fairly close to me) meaning I can visit the workshop and take a look at what I'm buying. You even get a free tea light chandelier which looks great!

Do you know of North Star Tents?? ( in Scotland though), rather nice it seems 4m bell, £325 delivered

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE