Roadkill pheasant recipe...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well last night for my tea I had roast pheasant breast and it was goooood :D

I was driving along on Monday when I spotted a cock pheasant at the side of the road so swooped in and grabbed him. The eyes were clear and he was in general good nick and smelled and felt fine apart from a lot of damage to his legs but the breast was in fine fettle - if a little tough as he was a big old bird but I knew of a way to cure that.

As he was quite on old fella I skinned him rather than plucking and just removed the breast meat and breast bone. I soaked this in a brine solution overnight then gave it a good rinse.

Placing the meat in a casserole dish I poured in a large glass of white wine, half a dozen fresh bay leaves, 3 crushed cloves of home grown garlic, half a dozen crushed coriander seeds and seasoned with ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I wrapped the dish in tin foil to keep the moisture in so that the meat then poaches and steams to tenderise it further then into the oven at 160c for 3 hours.

T'was loverly :approve: :D

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We picked up a road kill pheasant on the way out the lane from the midlands meet. It was tough but i put that down to not being hung. Like yours it was a cock, it was still warm and soft when we picked it up. The spine had breaks so it hardly had any unuseable bits. We simply roasted it as soon as possible, dispite been a bit tough it was still very tasty.

Thanks for the reciepe, i am sure it will make the meat alot more tender.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE