RM Wild food

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I've just got my copy of RM & GH's "wild food" and am enjoying it a lot, not something you'd take out and about, but there is mention in the acknowledgements/photographs section of a "planned field guide"..
Anyone heard anymore about this?

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Crikey how time flies. I remember watching the series and thinking that September and the book release seemed such a long way off and here we are - nearly August!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mine arrived this morning too, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but I'm in work tonight so I'll have a chance to have a good read.:D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Contents:
Introduction (setting the scene)
Britians last hunter -gatherers (some speculation using the archeo record)
A foot in both worlds (aboriginal people)
Foraging (stuff you can pick up with little/small effort)
Hunting (technique speculation )
Fungi (general notes)
The plant foods of our Hunter Gatherer Ancestors (mentions the "comprehensive field guide" in preparation. Plants by family, notes on preparation, speculating on mesolithic prep, large section of book 105-332)
Acknowledments
Bibliography (pretty extensive)
Index
344 pages
Large number of very good photos...
Now I only got it today so a crit of the content wont happen tonight, but I really like what there is so far, its a good acompanyment to the series, and the promised field guide sounds interesting....

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Does it talk a little bit about the science? When they went to King's and did some
electron microscopy of black briony pre- and post-preparation? That was cool.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
well theres a few electron mic pics showing spikey bits, and there is some mention of the active ingrediants of plants and the processes involved, but not heavy or detailed.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
So how's the book?
Is it just a coffee table book to accompany the series or is it a more in depth look at britains hunter gatherers.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've just got my copy of RM & GH's "wild food" and am enjoying it a lot, not something you'd take out and about, but there is mention in the acknowledgements/photographs section of a "planned field guide"..
Anyone heard anymore about this?

I was on my Woodlore Journeyman course the week before last and during the week, copies of the book arrived for the instructors and for Gordon Hillman, who was advising us on the foraging aspect of the course. He said that a pocket / daysack sized field guide version of the book would be coming along in about 18 months or so.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
So how's the book?
Is it just a coffee table book to accompany the series or is it a more in depth look at britains hunter gatherers.
I got a brief look at a copy on a Woodsmoke course this w/e. It is much more in depth than the series. Ben and Lisa at Woodsmoke said if anything the TV show was done to accompany the book :) It is very thick, very detailed and heavily focussed on ethnobotany as opposed to being a wild food guide as such. From a 5 minute scan it looked fascinating and is on my Xmas present list for sure!!

Chris

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
It's gorgeously put together and weighs a tonne. I've been reading bits of it before I go to
sleep and it's a bit heavy to lift! Ethnobotany is the most fascinating thing in the universe,
well that's just my opinion hehe.

I'd always approached it from my background in pharmacology and neuroscience (how
chemical compounds affect the brain, 'pharmaceutical' analysis of plant products etc.) so
I'm really enjoying re-learning about the wider themes which didn't really crop up in my
formal studies. We learned about this though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathyrism

This year has been a wonderful time of learning lots about plants - or even perhaps just
learning that there is lots more to learn about plants, if that makes sense. I've done a
Plantlore course at Woodsmoke, a two week course in Economic Botany at a uni in
Holland and I'm hoping to go back to basics and do a basic botany course at Kew in
a few weeks (boss permitting).

I enjoyed studying at uni and for my masters, and of course the day to day learning that
anyone working in a science area benefits from (there's always something new!), but I
don't remember it being quite this gleeful :D

About ten years ago I did a course with Roy Vickery at the Natural History Museum
which was all about how plants were used historically in Britain (more recent history
than anything ancient) and it was fascinating. Didn't expand on it as I was doing a
PhD at the time (didn't finish it however) and felt I should concentrate on that - I should
have quit and stuck with the plants :rolleyes:

If anyone bothers with Facebook there's an ethnobotany group there which is feeding my
addiction - you don't have to join it to see any of the posts or videos though, it's open.
It is mostly me talking to myself at the moment as most of the members are a bit shy...

S0rry I wandered off topic a teensy bit there...

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks folks, it sounds like an interesting read. I'm glad it's not a rehashed recipe book! I'll add it to my Christmas list.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
it is a stunning book, i adhore it already.

I am noticing however there seems to be editing errors detracting from the book which after the effort Ray and Gordan have put in, someone should be shot for, such as pictures of wrong plants in places, page 293 for example....thats not elder

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
it is a stunning book, i adhore it already.

I am noticing however there seems to be editing errors detracting from the book which after the effort Ray and Gordan have put in, someone should be shot for, such as pictures of wrong plants in places, page 293 for example....thats not elder

definately not FW it looks like Guelder rose to me. Which is not just an error but a potentially dangerous one as the berries are poisonous. In fact as far as I know all parts of the tree are poisonous. I don't know if the berries can be made edible by some form of cooking or processing though.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Yes, there are some errors in the book - it seems that the proof readers weren't quite as good as they could have been! Also, apparently the editor decided the section on Cattail / Cat-Tail / Bulrushes or whatever you like to call them was "boring" and cut it out, without realising that they're a staple source of carbohydrate! GH was NOT amused! The 2nd edition when it comes out should be all correct, as should be the handbook / field guide version.

These sorts of things shouldn't happen, but I guess RM & GH put their faith in other "Professionals" and expected them to be up to the job!

".......... if you want a job doing properly, do it yourself!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE