Rim Fire Rifle Question....:)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
Depends on the semi - mine is more accurate than I am :)

1022 Snake Ruger Small by British Red, on Flickr

However its hardly a "stock" rifle ;). There some original parts in it....you can't see them....but they are there!

That's cheating! :D

You could have two Anschutz target rifles for the price os that lovely, lovely rifle. :D

Thumbhole stock, palmshelf, high cheekpiece, low buttpad, custom barrel, custom trigger, pic rail, new spring, new recoil buffer, new bolt, even a compensator...

Seriously well specced shooting machine there Red.

How does she like rain? :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

You could have two Anschutz target rifles for the price os that lovely, lovely rifle. :D

Thumbhole stock, palmshelf, high cheekpiece, low buttpad, custom barrel, custom trigger, pic rail, new spring, new recoil buffer, new bolt, even a compensator...

Yep - its cheating - I have all I need for serious shooting except sufficient talent :D

Its fine in the rain - all laminate and stainless so just shrugs it off. Its not though, I grant you a £200 rimfire :)

10/22s are fun - you can just swap bits around until you get it "right" for you. Roger Francis was kind enough to give me the run of SYSS and we were swapping stocks, barrels, triggers until it was just right. Then he tuned, polished, resprung everything until the trigger pull was like breaking glass. Lovely man, not so well now sadly - we will lose a great gunsmith when he gives up. He did the same for my wifes version which is a very different rifle - but they started out identical!

Dragunov Ruger by British Red, on Flickr

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
now Red, you have 2 very nice rifles there, the semi is nice,but oh my god that bolt action CZ just does it for me, sexy, very sexy....;)

but again, price.....:(:(:(:(

i like the CZ 452, been looking at some on line, very nice...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To be honest Lannyman its marginal with rimfires. Get a nice 452 with a clean screw cut barrel (the pictured one isn't mine btw - its a pretty one though I grant you)

Drop a small amount of money on getting the trigger sorted out

A basic kit is here for £9

http://www.czrifles.co.uk/trigger-kits-for-cz-452-455-rifles-8-80/

Get some decent glass (I suggest a 1.5 -5 x 20 Simmons Whitetail classic - you don't need more in terms of maginifcation or cost)

Put a moderator on later

Change the stock later (you can do these yourself if you want to - its not hard)

It'll take bunnies as well as any other rifle.

For me, some semi decent glass and a trigger job would be all I would do initially.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
To be honest Lannyman its marginal with rimfires. Get a nice 452 with a clean screw cut barrel (the pictured one isn't mine btw - its a pretty one though I grant you)

Drop a small amount of money on getting the trigger sorted out

A basic kit is here for £9

http://www.czrifles.co.uk/trigger-kits-for-cz-452-455-rifles-8-80/

Get some decent glass (I suggest a 1.5 -5 x 20 Simmons Whitetail classic - you don't need more in terms of maginifcation or cost)

Put a moderator on later

Change the stock later (you can do these yourself if you want to - its not hard)

It'll take bunnies as well as any other rifle.

For me, some semi decent glass and a trigger job would be all I would do initially.

thank you all for the help everyone.....:):):):):)

im sold on the CZ 452, i have a good scope on my air rifle which i will swop back with the old pants one...:) ref the trigger whats so bad about the standard trigger, is it just heavy???? im used to a 2 stage quite heavy trigger as it is so that could be a good thing...;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most factory triggers are set up for the US market - so heavy and graunchy. I find that on a light rimfire its easy to pull off target as you really can't "feel" when it will let off. I'm used to a two stage as well - its a long old take up on my Enfield :) - but its a heavy gun and not a problem.

Short answer is to try it - then try someone who has had one worked on and see what you prefer - its not a big job to do

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
As a final thought - that version you liked the look of is £329 out the door factory threaded for a mod. Comes with a 3 year warranty and synthetic stock. Might be worth considering

http://www.czrifles.co.uk/cz-rifles-for-sale-in-uk/

I always say - buy the one you want - its cheaper in the long run

lol.....thanks Red, "I Want Them All".......;)

seriously though, thanks for all the help gents, its been a great help....;)

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
I always say - buy the one you want - its cheaper in the long run

Voice of experience here... :D

If you up your budget by another £50-£75 you can pick up a stainless/synthetic 452 like the one above SH if you keep your eyes open.

Frequently a good gunshop will have half a dozen .22 sitting there for you to handle.

Not sure where you are but it can be worth the drive.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have both the ruger 10/22 and the BRNO, both are lovely guns, you won't far wrong with either, in preference, for accuracy it's BRNO, fun shooting 10/22:AR15firin

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've a CZ452 American with the short screw cut barrel and very pleased with it. Th older BRNOs are much cheaper (local gunshop selling one for £100, including moderator and cheapish scope) and as mentioned above are more nicely machined. However most of them have the long barrel, and with the moderator, they can be a bit ungainly. Also I think the American stock is better for scope use than the older models. On the other hand, the American does not have the excellent iron sights.

Nearly all the professional keepers I know use the CZ/BRNO.

For what it's worth, I've found the plastic magazines to be more reliable than the steel ones.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington

that is what i wanted my ruger to lok like when it grew up stunning

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've a CZ452 American with the short screw cut barrel and very pleased with it..........Also I think the American stock is better for scope use than the older models. On the other hand, the American does not have the excellent iron sights........

Yeah I've seen that on almost all American centerfire rifles now. Unless it's a safari caliber there are no iron sights. However as you noticed, the comb is higher to facilitate more comfortable scope use. The only rimfires I've noticed this on are the CZ 452 American and the Ruger 77-22.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Sold my 10-22 having spent an absolute shed load of cash on tricking it up.
Reason? No need to have it.
If I want quiet then it's subsonic 22lr through my CZ bolt action, otherwise then it's the 17 hmr which is fantastic for flat shooting and ideal bunny medicine.
I'd never advise anyone to buy a 10-22 for anything other than fun shooting - too unreliable and I really cannot find any justification for having a 22lr to shoot supersonic rounds.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sold my 10-22 having spent an absolute shed load of cash on tricking it up.
Reason? No need to have it.
If I want quiet then it's subsonic 22lr through my CZ bolt action, otherwise then it's the 17 hmr which is fantastic for flat shooting and ideal bunny medicine.
I'd never advise anyone to buy a 10-22 for anything other than fun shooting - too unreliable and I really cannot find any justification for having a 22lr to shoot supersonic rounds.

It's the single most popular squirrel rifle sold over here. More than all other 22s combined anually. And used as is out of the box other than the addition of a scope.

That said, I expect price has a lot to do with it. Yes there are more accurate 22s but the 10-22's accuracy is more than adequate even with just the iron sights for squirrels and rabbits. And nobody wants to spend a fortune on a small game getter.

Last edited:

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
So is the collective feeling that 10/22's are good for rapid shots, but not as precise as bolt action rifles, and with all that in mind and no need for 10+ rapid shots needed for small game that a bolt action is best. And more importantly that CZ rifles are an good starters choice?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can certainly nake a 10/22 get the most out of a .22 - but it'll cost. A decent bolt gun is likely better "out of the box". It may need some trigger work and even the barrel floating - but that's the owners choice. A CZ is certainly a good starters gun

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Either is a good starters choice. Likewise either is a good choice for ANY level of 22 shooting save maybe an Olympic marksman. You can get more accurate 22s but in the end they'll all still be just that; a 22, not a centerfire.

My personal first rifle was a simple 22 single shot bolt action 48 years ago. I still have it and still hunt with it occasionally. I think Daddy payed about $20 for it new.

My advice would be get whichever you personally fancy. Both are good. Both are accurate enough and reliable and rugged. I wouldn't feel undergunned with either if after small game or pests or when plinking for fun.

However another advantage of the bolt is that most will also shoot 22 longs, and 22 shorts as well as the standard 22 long rifle.

Last edited:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Friend of mine has a Sako Finnfire .22. They are beautifully made and it feels more like a centrefire rifle in size and weight. But they cost a lot more than a CZ/BRNO and are not more accurate.

Another option is the Anschutz. They make a lot of the fact the quality is the same as their match rifles. Thumbhole stock available if desired. Again, the extra money gets you a 'nicer' rifle, but not more accuracy or reliability.

Think Weirauch make, or made, a .22LR too.

But I'd still go for the CZ/BRNO.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Shooting left handed I tend to struggle a bit with the Ruger 10/22 so I'm looking elsewhere for a semi-auto .22 possibly a S&W M&P15-22.

I have a left handed bolt action CZ and that's very nice to use, I even seem to have been lucky with the bolt and trigger as they were both quite smooth straight out the box. CZ also make a semi-auto, the 512, which seems to be well received by those that' use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE