Rigging a Cheap Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi All,

Has anyone any tips of rigging a general purpose tarp of the woven pvc type, i.e one without ridge-line loops and just eyelets? I have bought one to use as work area and secondary cover for my tent. There's loads of info on rigging a proper camp/expedition tarp but I couldn't find much on stringing a cheapo sheet up.

My first thought was to run the ridge line through the centre eyelets, but under the tarp so that I could hang stuff from it if need be, but I am wondering if the wind gets underneath the tarp it could slap up and down against the ridgeline. I've got some sprung mini clamps that might sort this, but was wondering how others hang there eyelet-only tarps?

Kind regards,
Matt.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd make some loops from thin bungee cord and tie them onto your eyelets, then attach guy lines to those. You'll get a bit of give then so the eyelets should last a bit longer

Poly tarps are noisy whatever you do with them, but they're cheap and they keep you dry

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I'd make some loops from thin bungee cord and tie them onto your eyelets, then attach guy lines to those. You'll get a bit of give then so the eyelets should last a bit longer

Poly tarps are noisy whatever you do with them, but they're cheap and they keep you dry

good advice :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you get the ridgeline tight enough with a strong and non-stretchy rope, you don't need to worry about anything else but the tie-outs. A truckers hitch, finished of with a timber hitch to the tree will tension it adequately. Just throw the poly tarp aver the ridgeline and tie down with the tie-outs. If it's tight enough, It won't sag to the middle. I too would go with bungees for the tie outs, but at a push, you can use a pebble/marble/ round piece of wood etc as an insert into the corners and tie a tie out round the pebble. This will be much stronger than the grommets.

(Your right Paul, I really do look like a weird Ewok in that hat)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
...and there was me thinking it was some ancient woodlore firelay designed to maximise warmth and burn time in sub-zero conditions, whereas is was good old-fashioned randomness:).

Ah well it may have been but i was on fire technician duty that day rather than fire control lol.

Seriously it was a conscious choice to have a long fire. Its not really a pit beyond the fact that the snow obviously sinks away. Great for cooking and a nice even heat along the length.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Jokkmokk_Shelter.jpg

This was the set up I used in Jokkmokk last year.

rancid badger

The "pebble in the corner" is by far the strongest practical method of rigging these tarps.

There are of course these things:
http://www.easyklip.com/

I've used these for securing polyprop tarps over boats on trailers ( to protect kit inside boat) and then driven 200 miles, in windy condition's, at motorway speeds and had no trouble at all. They do tend to eat away at the tarp material, eventually tearing holes, but they're much stronger than the grommets or eyelets.

I'd still use the pebble method for camping shelters though;)

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Ah, so basically you 'wrap' a pebble or small stone in the tarp to form a ball around which you can tie the guy line? Good idea.

I've also looked on Amazon and seem cheaper versions of the EasyKlip which I might look at. But to be honest, because it's not my primary shelter and because it's pretty cheap, I won't be too gutted if the eyelets rip out - I can always use it as ground sheet or other cover if it busts - though I guess it will be pain if it happens at 4am in the morning and the wretched things starts flapping about all over the place.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE