Ridge line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Does anyone "I'm sure they do" know if amsteel blue is suitable for a Tarp ridgline?. I am going to order some to make some Whoopie slings for my DDhammock, & if it's suitable for a ridgline I'll get some extra for the Tarp ridgline
Thanks
TT :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's low stretch, which is good, but quite slippery & getting prusiks to stay put might be an issue. You don't need to order it from the USA either, Dyneema D12 or D8 is what you want - I got mine on eBay and sailingmad.com

garethw

Settler
You possibly could ... However amsteel really doesn't knot well, you'd be hard pressed to get it taught. you'd need to find a system to get tension... maybe another set of tree straps. Perhaps a sliding prussik on the line with a mini biner... Not sure how you'd use it with a whoopie type sliding bury.

To me the major benefit of using amsteel for whoopies, is that once you set your hammock height, its done, no extra sag. If it could be made to work then Amsteel probably could be a good option due to its lack of stretch.

However the hammock forum guys seem to think its really hard to get taught enough for a tarp.

cheers
Gareth

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If only someone had designed a simple tensioning tool... :)

I use £-shop "paracord" for my ridgeline - damn site cheaper than Dyneema & plenty strong enough. Normal 550 should be plenty strong enough too

toptec

Sep 3, 2009
manchester
Cheer's for the fast reply, I've seen dyneema on Evil bay, can you splice it like Amsteel to make Whoopie slings?
TT

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Amsteel Blue is used for structural support of eg hammocks, is expensive compared to other non-structural lines. On Hammock forum they seem to use something called zingit for tarp ridge lines which is much lower rated but can be spliced.
I use amsteel whoopies for my hammock and cheap line for the ridge of my tarp. there are various devices of varying sizes and weights available eg tarp flyz and hooks which I use. Mine bought from USA, but may be available here now?
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Amsteel is probably a bit OTT for a ridgeline, 2 or 3mm climbing cord works just as well, it takes prusiks better too

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Zing-it and dynaglide are arborists throwline, its like amsteel but thinner and slippier and less prone to tangling than amsteel. Better for ridgelines

I'm using Stein throwline, it comes on 50m spools for £22 (2.2mm) odd delivered, less for the thinner 1.5mm . It'll do all the tie-outs too, and youre whoopies if your brave. :)

FWIW, I've been using dyneema in many types for my ridgelines for about three years since getting rid of carp paracord. Prussics and klemheists all hold on it, just give them an extra wrap or two. Knots also work, the evenk and slippery hitch are good.

As has been said, amsteel/ marlow D12/ english braids dynamic line 2mm for whoopies, thinner cord less prone to tangling for the tie-outs and ridgeline.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
if you want a local friendly and knowlegable sevice, contact Mat at ukhammocks here, he has amsteel or ready made whoopies, just a happy customer keeping one of ours in the loop. :)

steve

Last edited:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I have an amsteel ridgeline, mainly because it was what I have lying around, I use a small figure 9 to tension it and it holds well, I also use amsteel prussiks on it too and they have never slipped :)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
It doesn't seem to be an issue. The teeth aren't that sharp so they just pinch and hold the amsteel rather than really bite into it. I guess different distances between trees and diameters of said trees may help to avoid chafing the same part every time and make any damage less visible but so far I've had no problems.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It doesn't seem to be an issue. The teeth aren't that sharp so they just pinch and hold the amsteel rather than really bite into it. I guess different distances between trees and diameters of said trees may help to avoid chafing the same part every time and make any damage less visible but so far I've had no problems.

That's useful to know thanks Col, I've had some dyneema cords which have been savaged by the mini fig-9's, never tried amsteel though.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I use lash-it for my ridge line. A Dutch hook at one end, a Dutch fly at the other - no knots needed. The tarp is connected/hung from two prussic loops that have never slipped yet:)

I don't think it is that important that the ridgeline is bar tight, the tarp should shape up when you peg it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I don't think it is that important that the ridgeline is bar tight, the tarp should shape up when you peg it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed 100%. No point winching it tight, it just cuts into the bark more and stresses everything.

We were out filming this weekend and did a video on how safe ridgelines were on your set-ups... i have plenty of folk contact us asking for zing-it etc to use as a ridgline in case there is anything fall on you in the night it may break the fall and not kill you... well let me tell you the results were shocking!!! using 7/64 Amsteel with no knots just wraped around the tre 5 times to secure it a 20ft spruce would go straight through you and your set up! anywhere we used knots it just snapped the cord but when we did the last test it streched the amsteel so much that the 7ft high ridge was at knee hight after the hit!

i will post the vid when i get 5 to edit it up.

Mat

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
What is it with Americans and their brand names? So confusing. LOL

I use fake paracord for my ridgeline. To be honest I'm not entirely sure it's safe... It's just £3 15m stuff I get at Nevis outdoor store. It's never tight enough to pluck a note so I think my life won't be in danger... hopefully.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE