Rhubarb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got a friend a root

How best do you plant it instructions for the garden inept?

I favour digging a deep hole and putting compost init, then the root on top, and covering with more compost

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ha, was just about to say that BR!
Also I've found that mulching with straw, or even grass clippings and allowing that to rot down around the plant works quite well, as they do like a good rich soil to be realy productive, though they will tolerate poorer soil too. Just don't produce such big and profuse stalks.
I have a friend who regularly produces 3 foot long stalks this way, and I'm starting to do this myself since last year. I've realy seen an improvement in the plant already this spring.

Reactions: British Red

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I just got rid of some berry bushes for the space to plant 2 rhubarbs.
I know that there are some named varieties. Any popular names where you are?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I just got rid of some berry bushes for the space to plant 2 rhubarbs.
I know that there are some named varieties. Any popular names where you are?

Victoria is a popular variety, and champagne is another that is good for early forcing to provide sweet pale stems for early rhubarb pies and crumble.
Most varieties are Hardy, so they should grow well where you are. .
Did you know, technically rhubarb is a vegetable.?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sure. The edible part of rhubarb is leaf petioles. Several lives ago, I grew some rhubarb in the city at 54N. Locals around the village here (53N) might be willing to donate no more than 2 roots.

I think I like the variety which is pink inside, maybe a little bit more naturally sweeter. All I want is 3-4 stalks that I can dice and stew up for a little treat.
I don't even buy ice cream.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I dunno, when I took over my allotment there was some rhubarb growing. It was in the wrong place so far as I was concerned so I dug it up and moved it. It seems to manage alright by itself without much intervention. I do find however that it likes damp ground.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm quite familiar with rhubarb since the mid-1950's. Hard to find a preserve which hasn't been kakked up with strawberries and 50 kg sugar.
The logical solution for me is to stop bitching about it and grow my own rhubarb.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
This thread has spurred me on to rescue a bedraggled old rhubarb plant that keeps limping on. I didn't realise they like being watered so much so I'll give em he'll with the watering can

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE