Rhubarb harvest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I divided a Rhubarb up in the late winter and each eye has done really well, in fact better than the mother plant.
My question is I I have read about not taking off the plant first season a bit second season etc but I'm not sure if this refers to divided plants???
Your enlightenment is much appreciated ☺ d

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
My understanding is that (as you've said) you leave all the plants alone at least for one season. I guess picking the stems stimulates regrowth which in turn places a strain on the newly formed plant...I may be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This years growth is based on last years stored energy. Given that each plant has had its roots disturbed and damaged, they are much better left alone for a year.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Leave them for a year. If you can give them a feed/mulch of something really low release, wool scrags are the traditional feed, it will help.

I too divided some of my rhubarb this year. I didn't do it all so I could have a harvest. I will be doing the rest this coming winter, and I can harvest the stuff I divided last winter next spring.

I also take the approach of not harvesting past about june/july time. So the plant can focus it's energy in storing enough to get through the coming winter. I do tend to get my first harvest in sometime around February tho.

Which variety do you have?

Julia

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks BR I think alas it may be too far to drive for a pudding?!
Bowland er the plants look great.
The one the stalks are quit thin but the others are thriving.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE