Rewaxing dewaxed canvas stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Didn’t run the tumbler on the hottest setting, it doesn’t need to be hot hot.

Pillow case absorded any excess - we aren’t talking about loads of thick layers of wax though that ‘sloughed’ off the coat or anything. I just found it hard to get the wax ‘evenly’ spread using a hairdryer. Tumbler evened it up nicely. Also I kept checking it as I wasn’t sure how long it would need, so it was having maybe 10min bursts?

But. Yes good point, careful attention and vigilance required.

I did not ask permission from SWMBO. I didn’t ask her permission before putting a bunch of aluminium car parts through the dishwasher either - got away with that aswell :D
It’s all in the timing (ideally when she is at work!)

My downfall was using the oven to bake paint onto something - the smell gave me away when she got home :(
I wonder if you couldn't run the item of clothing in the tumble dryer first to warm it up a bit and make the application of wax easier.

Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That would work I'd imagine.. I don't have tumble dryer hence the way I do it. I'd be a bit wary of wax depositing on the inside of the machine and messing up future loads. (Waxed undies don't realy appeal much) and possible fire risk...... am I being over causious? But warming up an unwaxed item prior to application would be fine.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I wonder if you couldn't run the item of clothing in the tumble dryer first to warm it up a bit and make the application of wax easier.

Yep that would work, I am only tumbling it after to more evening spread the wax around. I put the coat in a pillow case to prevent tumbler contamination, but to be honest with you if tumblr drier contamination is going to be an issue you have put FAR to much wax on in the first place.

You don’t need it on hot either, and it only needs tumbling for 15 mins or so on medium heat to even itnoit

Reactions: Erbswurst

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Can anyone please suggest alternatives

I've always used "Gold Label" re-proofer. You'll get it off Amazon for around £8 for a 400g tub. Also, there is stuff made by "Tantech" that you can wash wax cotton in. It is successful as long as whatever you are washing has not been previously "over proofed", then you end up with a horrible congealed mess. I recently proofed my jackets and packs with "Nikwax" spray on wax cotton proofer, which was a lot easier, but haven't been out for a full day in the rain yet to find out If it works. Best time to proof jackets etc is in the summer, and hang them in a sunny window or a greenhouse to cure.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE