Review - Web-Tex Moray 37L Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Review of Web-Tex Moray 37 Litre Rucksack

I bought this rucksack from Bearclaw when the smaller BCB rucksack I was looking at was unavailable.
This is a new stock item on Gary’s site but made by the well-known Web-Tex company and constructed from 1000D waterproof Cordura.

The rucksack itself is a pretty obvious clone of the famous and virtually indestructible Berghaus Munro, but with the addition of a front zip and Velcro pocket (why do they call it “front” when it faces backwards?).

I have to confess to being underwhelmed when I first received the rucksack. It is not immediately aesthetically inspiring or designed to be admired, but rather robust and functional. A bit like wanting an I-pod and being given an old Roberts radio.

It features,
1. Front pocket, which is a decent size and will easily take a water bottle and Crusader kit, probably a Trangia military cooker, a first aid kit or a basha (see later pictures for carrying capacity). For me the brew kit is most often used in a daysack so that is where it went with my knife. I am unsure of the logic behind a Velcro and zip fastener for the front pocket and can only assume that the Velcro holds down the flap and helps with water ingress in the rain.

Front pocket capacity - example -
2. Lid pocket, which is roomy but not the capacity of that on either a Bergan or a Snugpak Rocketpack. My personal beef with the pocket is that it the zip opens facing backwards (ie over the front pocket) and anything that drops out if the zip begins to open is lost rather than having a chance of being captured between shoulders and rucksack, were it to open with the zip facing the back of the head. I circumvented this utilising the “belt and braces” approach of a safety pin (useful anyway) at the end of the zip closure.

Lid Pocket - sample contents -
3. Main compartment. This is one roomy and accessible sack. Overall, I can’t believe that the sack is only 37 Litres. It certainly compares favourably with the main sack of my Rocketpack and for me anyway holds more than enough for an overnighter

Sample Contents – main sack -
Pic 2 – Loaded with all the above plus waterproof, food,Snugpak softy 3, Kathmandu Tarp and lightweight groundsheet -
4. Harness and mesh back. I am a 46” chest and have a long back, but thankfully don’t have any back problems that make me fussy about whether a pack rides high (hence my love affair with the Rocketpack), but I found the harness and padded shoulder straps comfortable with the sack fully laden (a good 35lb) or half empty. It also fitted my better half comfortably (‘though she reckoned the colour didn’t suit her!). The sack has waist belt and chest harness too for those who use them – I don’t. I carried the sack fully laden for several miles, including a few on sand and shingle, in hot weather and found the back system as good as any (apart from an external frame) at remaining comfortable and dispersing sweat.

5. Other bits. The Moray has an elasticated cord for additional carrying capacity and for wet clothing. It also serves to compress the front pocket, as do two straps on either side of the main sack. I felt that the side straps would have been more functional had there been open mesh or Cordura pockets at the base of the sack on either side, which would have helped secure walking poles, fishing rod, axe or whatever and prevented them sliding down and out of the straps.

I have used this sack more or less constantly for a fortnight and on three separate one and two-nighters and not been disappointed in any way with its capability and robustness. It didn’t show any leaks in one heavy and prolonged downpour, although the harness was like a wet sponge (left it out uncovered deliberately to see if it was waterproof). Nothing has come unstitched or failed (and I am fairly heavy handed with kit) and there is nothing about this rucksack which leads me to believe it won’t be going strong in ten years time.

For me personally, I was looking for a small pack for day to day use which could hold a brew kit, a tarp, a camera, knife and waterproof and underestimated the true load-eating capacity of this workhorse, so it may be looking for a new home soon, not because of any fault of the rucksack (far from it!), but because of my underestimation of it. For around £40 I would find it pretty hard fault this rucksack.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
raskusdrotti said:
Hi Beachlover,

Great review mate, I have a 65 and a 27ltr rucksack but have been recently thinking about getting a mid-size for weekend trips.

This has definately hit the short list! :D

Neil
Cheers for the feedback as I have never written one before :)
I hope I was clear that if anything I reviewed this rucksack pretty impartially, as it wasn't the thing I was looking for really. If anything I was somewhat negative to begin, but as a medium sized sack, it really is an impressive bit of kit.
All I have to do now is find the one I was really looking for...perhaps a Maxpedition Falcon I think :rolleyes:
If you are in the market for one of these keep your eyes on the classified section soon :D

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Excellent review.

I was looking at this pack myself but I tried on a rocketpak over the weekend and it felt quite comfortable. Add the extra versatility of the rocketpack and thing I might just go with that do.

I have swedish army extrenal frame pack and small 35lt so I thing these will met all my needs.

Looking forward to read more when find the one your looking for.

James

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
jamesdevine said:
Excellent review.

I was looking at this pack myself but I tried on a rocketpak over the weekend and it felt quite comfortable. Add the extra versatility of the rocketpack and thing I might just go with that do.

James
As I said in the review, I have a rocketpak too (my third, but this one stays!) and although I am not keen on the side pockets yoked as a separate bag, when I am out for an overnighter or just a day, I have the pockets inside the main sack, which keeps all of the regular kit organised in their usual pockets and places, but still gives storage space for camera and other kit in the spare space and lid. I like the mesh pockets on the side of the main bag of the Snugpak too, as well as the integrated waterproof covers. If I am out for longer or in bad weather I strap the pockets on the outside and use the whole of the main sack for the extra kit and thus essentials are still in their usual and familiar places within the pockets.
Right. Back to the hunt for a small but perfectly formed daysack :rolleyes:

T

theorsmeister

Nice job m8,
how much do they retail at??

cheers!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE