Review - Tree recognition - A pocket guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Is this the right place for book reviews? If not feel free to move it mods...

Tree Recognition – A Pocket Guide
Ian Richardson and Rowena Gale
ISBN: 0-9524806-0-3
Publisher: Richardson’s Botanical Identifications.

My first reaction was that I expected something more for my money. The illustrations are black and white line drawings . In using it though I realised the value rather than the price. There are multiple ways to get down to the detail. Leaves , fruit and conifers are in the fold out covers. Buds and leaf scars, so you can identify the trees in winter, twigs and leaves and conifer identification are presented as decision trees on colour coded pages.

The main part of the book is segmented by species and it gives drawing of twig and bud configurations, leaf shapes, tree shape, variations. The text gives the other trees that this one can be confused with and how to differentiate them.
In general, despite my early reservations this bok does exactly what it says on the tin. It is very definitely pocket sized (about 3 ½” x 7”) and it gets you to a tree identification in any season. I’d like to have seen something on the characteristics of the wood but if you can identify the tree you can do some more research to get to working characteristics and usage. It now lives in my field pack and I take it whenever I go into the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE