Review - Hong Kong 1-2 Person Aluminium Cook Set

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
This is my first review so bare with me :rolleyes:

I've been using a combination of civi trangia / army trangia which are good but not meeting my "light weight" needs as of late. So i had a requirement for a smaller / lighter one person base cook set.

I didnt want to spend loads so my budget wasn't huge. I had a good look around and decided that Ti was out of my price range, stainless was a little heavy duty / heavy for what i wanted so i decided upon Ali.

I found a number of options, ranging from a little more pricey with some good options to what we have here. Truth be told the low price tipped the scales for me as i love a bargain :cool:

A BCUK member pointed out the pot via a well known auction site, but it too can be sourced via the web.

The link is here, at the moment there is a 20% discount over the advertised price, so an even better bargain to be had.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Postage from this seller was fast considering it came around half the world. It comes with its own zip soft case.

First impressions of the set are good for the price. Well made, no dents scratches or anything untoward. The handles are a little iffy if im honest, rivets are secure but the handles are a little loose in the attachments, but once interlocked i cannot see this causing any problems. The only other thing that i would comment on is the finish, the advert says "oxidized aluminium" but with my limited time with it i feel that it is not as tough as the finish in other pans, but time will tell....

KGrHqUOKi0E6cQpbLF7BOsi6P5Fg60_12.jpg

I did a boil test with a whitebox type stove, in the garage nice and cold, 500ml of cold tap water. 4 minutes 35 seconds from a small meths stove. :cool:

Overall im impressed with the set for the price, i'll put it through some field testing and see how it copes and update if it excels or fails in any aspects.

Any questions or comments are welcome
Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I talked about these on another thread a few weeks ago Mark. They are a good pot, use a little gas stove and you have Jetboil performance. the seller usually will take a ten or fifteen percent discount on the marked price if you make an offer.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I talked about these on another thread a few weeks ago Mark. They are a good pot, use a little gas stove and you have Jetboil performance. the seller usually will take a ten or fifteen percent discount on the marked price if you make an offer.

I think it was one of your posts that I seen the set through, so I owe you a thanks Rik :)

I did put a best offer in, but they have a 20% discount at the moment!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Cheers for the heads-up markie. Barking Badger had one on the recent Derbyshire meet (not sure if it had the 'flux-ring' exchanger like these though) and it seemed the business. I have the Esbit system without the exchanger, and would like to know how you get on, and if an upgrade is worth the extra funds.

Good luck and thanks again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE