REVIEW: Clark Tropical Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hello one & all,

Just received my Clark Tropical Hammock from the US of A today. As it was sunny I thought I'd have a pootle down to the woods and take some photos for you all.

You can see Clark's website here Clark's Hammocks

This model, as I say, is the Tropical hammock with Windshield and Rain Fly XL.

Although I haven't slept out in it yet I can't praise it highly enough at this stage. The workmanship appears to be excellent, the instructions clear & concise and the mechanics of assembly really simple.

Here's a pic of the hammock packed away in it's integral stuff sack with a Spyderco Manix for scale. Weight is 2.8lbs
hammock019.jpg

The hammock is then unpacked and tied conventionally to a tree, ensuring a slight curve in the hammock. The tarp is integral to the hammock at this point, although it can be removed.

The hammock differs from most in that is has a mozzy net & weather shield attached to it. To keep these away from your face, bungees are used to raise both ends up, via the tarp. See if the pics make it easier to understand :D

hammock007.jpg

Here you can see the mozzy net zipped across the hammock with the green weathershield half way across.

hammock003.jpg

And now with the weathershield fully deployed, protecting you from the most torrential downpour.

hammock008.jpg

Detail showing the bungee and the built in drip ring on the main hammock suspension line

hammock006.jpg

The hammock comes with 4 massive external pockets, large enough for a pair of high leg military boots in each and 2 internal pockets for valuables. This allows you to get undressed off the ground, stow all your gear near you and keep it bone dry.

hammock013.jpg

Another nice feature is a sewn in loop at the head end which allows you to pull yourself up, should you find yourself slumped down in the middle :)

The hammock retails at $219. I ordered mine this Monday and it was in my hands today - that's 4 days from the US, through Customs and delivered to me :eek:

All in all a top bit of kit and I look forward to using it properly in the next few weeks :D

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
hey how about a hammock only area at this years wilderness weekend .
have to admit sneaking around spying at any hammock set up i could find .
looks like a fine hammock sir (i personely dont get on with the ones that zip up like that ,er i fell out of one ,).
but cost and the look makes it look like a good choice
would be great to hear how you get on with it

the proof of the thing wil be apparent the more you use it
i got a mears one inicially i thought it wasnt anything to special but the more i used it the more i appreciated the design

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Stuart said:
seems overly complex, what advatages would you say the Clark hammocks have over the simpler Hennesy design

Flexability, storage, build quality and weatherproofness

I've owned a Hennessy for 3 years & this beats it hands down so far :)

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
redflex said:
How did you find the compant to deal with? I have emailled them last week no reply?

I'm very surprised they've not replied! They got back to me within 1 hour regarding delivery times and shipped the product to me within 72 hours. Must be an admin foul up.

I'd definitely mail again, you really don't want to miss out on such an excellent piece of kit :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
charliefox said:
The hammock retails at $219. I ordered mine this Monday and it was in my hands today - that's 4 days from the US, through Customs and delivered to me

No Extra cost from Customs? I had (still got in loft) a HH but moved to the mosquito hammock. The rope to hammock looks like the HH system? or is it better. Looks good whats the room like in side?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE