Review - Beatons Midge Jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Shewie tipped me off to a product called "Beatons Midge Jacket". The website is www.midgejacket.co.uk

The website is quite basic but functional and after reading the small amount of info that is there, decided to purchase one. At first I couldn't figure out where to pay but going back and reading in detail, they have a quaint custom of sending you the goods first and then you send them a cheque after you get them. the jacket arrived within a couple of days.

First impressions are that it is a professional item, apparently manufactured in Canada leading me to think that the seller is merely a distributor for the items.

It is made from the "no-see-um" type mesh with elasticated wrists and waist with a full hood and face cover integrated into the garment. The face mesh is black whilst the rest is olive/brown. The face mesh can be zipped down but not off.

The whole garment looks quite well made and worth every penny of the £20.95 inc p&p cost.

I haven't tried it yet - roll on the end of the month and my Scottish trip.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Yup, only problem that I could foresee on the Bushwear one is that it would be hard to get access to the zip if you had a jacket done up over the top and you have to open a large slot to get to your mouth. With the Beatons jacket, it unzips round the face so only a very small slot required. Other than that I imagine they are very similar.

P.S. - LOVE the sig. line!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
It works 100% against midges. You can even pull your arms in from the sleeves and eat your sandwiches within the jacket.

The only problem I have with it is that visibility is slightly impaired - it's like walking in smoke. Also, if you're walking hard it gets a bit stuffy, as fresh air doesn't diffuse through the mesh fast enough for me. I should imagine claustrophobics may have a problem with this.

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup, only problem that I could foresee on the Bushwear one is that it would be hard to get access to the zip if you had a jacket done up over the top and you have to open a large slot to get to your mouth. With the Beatons jacket, it unzips round the face so only a very small slot required. Other than that I imagine they are very similar.

P.S. - LOVE the sig. line!

Hiya Tripitaka,

The GOOD thing about midge jackets ( I LOVE mine) is that you don't need to unzip anything to drink or smoke, you just do it through the mesh, which also strains the midgies out of your pint!!! :D

OK eating can be a problem, but doesn't a bovril drink "sustain"? :lmao:

Get one...but stay away from the campfire or it'll become part of you.

TTFN
Goatboy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It works 100% against midges. You can even pull your arms in from the sleeves and eat your sandwiches within the jacket.

Brilliant Jim, not thought of that :notworthy

The only problem I have with it is that visibility is slightly impaired - it's like walking in smoke. Also, if you're walking hard it gets a bit stuffy, as fresh air doesn't diffuse through the mesh fast enough for me. I should imagine claustrophobics may have a problem with this.

Jim

Not used mine to cover any distance yet Jim but, wouldn't you just walk with it open anyway ? I would have thought most of the little critters would just flag behind and stop trying to keep up eventually anyway.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
We're moving to Scotland soon so have bookmarked this! I'm really chuffed to see such a well regarded product for such a reasonable price!

I have to say, as soon as I saw it, I thought it would be about £60 or something. Pleasantly surprised at £20!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE