Restoring swiss military engineer and mountain pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dd786

Nov 22, 2011
kent
Heya.
Does anyone know how to restore these swiss waterproof/vinyl army packs?

Swiss-Mountain-Pack-4.jpg

Big-Vintage-Swiss-Army-Military-Waterproof-Backpack-Rucksack.jpg

I bought one of each but they are not in great shape. Some of the vinyl has been scratched up or gouged out on the body/bag fabric.
The leather straps are cracking a bit and the bottom leather is hard. I mean if all the leather used on these models was regular leather i could just condition it but the leather on these is painted green. It actually feels like paint rather than tanned because its this sort of matt dry look with no shine at all. pretty certain its paint and its the same on both.

Any ideas how to condition painted leather and fix some small scratches/gouges in the vinyl coating?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd be surprised that it's painted, do you think it might be a waterproof coating on dyed leather rather than paint? Pics might help us get a better idea of what you're looking at.

As for the scuff marks on the vinyl fabric there's not a lot you can do apart from using a clear drying sealant where you feel it's necessary.

The straps can be treated with a conditioner or replaced with new ones. Veg tan straps and original buckles would look quite good I think

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can use warm Collonil leather fat, clear. For the leather of course.

Or what you have similar in Britain.

Perhaps warm Brooks bike saddle fat would work as well.

several times a bit.

Keep the rucksack warm.

The leather will suck it and will become flexible.

I used that on Swedish, German and Swiss Material from the times around the first world war.

That can take weeks! But it works very well. And in the end you can use the Rucksack for decades. - if the fabrik lasts.
My Swiss material is older, that salt and pepper stile or simply brown cow.

Leather-canvas - nettle - metal rucksacks you can reactivate easily in this way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE