Restless Leg Syndrome.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Does anyone else here suffer from RLS?

Its a bleeding nightmare, i've had it for years.

It only made itself apparent after i left he military and it's my understanding that a lot of ex service guys get it.

How do you deal with it?Do any of you have any tips or tricks to stave off the sensations?

Mark :)

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
mate of mine does, has meds that work but make him really sleepy. not a lot of good when job is h g v driver

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I looked up the symptoms when I saw this post - and buqqer me!, realised I've had it for years (since I left the army in '84). I just put it down to getting old with arthritic knees. I never even heard of RLS before. My missus thought it was residual symptoms of childhood ADHD, and me old pins were still a bit hyper and twitchy.

Eric

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I looked up the symptoms when I saw this post - and buqqer me!, realised I've had it for years (since I left the army in '84). I just put it down to getting old with arthritic knees. I never even heard of RLS before. My missus thought it was residual symptoms of childhood ADHD, and me old pins were still a bit hyper and twitchy.

Eric

Hi Eric :)

I've known of it for a couple of years, had it for 7 now. Funnily enough, I had ADHD too.

What do you do when it comes on?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Both me and my two older brothers have it...

Our mum used to go nuts at the dinner table! I dont think I do it so much now, but half the time I'm not aware I'm doing it anyways.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi Eric :)

I've known of it for a couple of years, had it for 7 now. Funnily enough, I had ADHD too.

What do you do when it comes on?

I give my legs a good straighten, stand up if I'm sitting and sit if I'm standing. Occasionaly I'll be crammed in the back seat of a car going someplace and I'll have excruciating pain in my knees, thighs and hips. It gets so bad that on occasion I've had to ask whoever is driving to stop and let me out to stretch. 30 seconds on my feet, flexing my legs and the pain has gone. Wierd.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That works for me too Eric.

I've had it for years, just thought it was age creeping up on me.

Must've been all that "one-twothree-one" nonsense - knees, hips and back are generally fine, as in not totally worn out thankfully.

The brains mince though...

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Interesting, I get this thing - usually when I am tired or relaxing before bed and only when I am not moving - where the back of my knee REALLY itches/aches inside. It's not the skin and hence I cannot scratch it. The only thing that helps is really stretching out my leg or getting up and moving around. I'm 19 in a couple of weeks so does it sound likely that it could be a form of RLS?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Interesting, I get this thing - usually when I am tired or relaxing before bed and only when I am not moving - where the back of my knee REALLY itches/aches inside. It's not the skin and hence I cannot scratch it. The only thing that helps is really stretching out my leg or getting up and moving around. I'm 19 in a couple of weeks so does it sound likely that it could be a form of RLS?

Yeah that pretty much sounds the same as what I get, kind of like someone is tickling the tendons behind the knee. If you try ignore it it just gets worse and my legs kind of jerk on their own.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I give my legs a good straighten, stand up if I'm sitting and sit if I'm standing. Occasionaly I'll be crammed in the back seat of a car going someplace and I'll have excruciating pain in my knees, thighs and hips. It gets so bad that on occasion I've had to ask whoever is driving to stop and let me out to stretch. 30 seconds on my feet, flexing my legs and the pain has gone. Wierd.

I never get it standing. Only sitting and laying down. Stretching helps but only briefly. Luckily I don't get it everyday, but I do have it at least once a week.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I never really saw me constantly shaking my leg as a problem? But maybe I don't have RLS, I just constantly bounce my leg up and down. It always annoyed people on the same row of chairs at me in a lecture theatre. I do it everyday at work. My girlfriend reckons it's why I keep in shape even sat behind a desk everyday. :) However, others reckons it's because I've not reached my 30s yet, hahaha.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to have this I think, only when I went to bed though. It felt like I needed to actually stretch my legs rather than go for a walk, I found bending and reaching for my toes got rid of it. I'd do this in bed so my legs were straight, pulling back on the foot stretching the calves and hamstrings for as long as I could hold it.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I found that giving my legs a good hard massage helps to relieve the aches, uncomfortable feeling and twitching.

It's weird, I only found out about rls 5 years ago and realised that I'd had it since about 16! (29 now and it's no better/worse)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah it stays the same, and when you have it, you have it.

Meds can help but i don't want to go down that route if i can help it .:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE