Respirator mask, help me pick one please!

• UPDATE - The main upgrade is now finished. The site should now be functioning as normal, I will be making tweaks over the weekend, particularly to look of the site. If you notice something is broken or have any comments please let me know. Many thanks Matt (Lithril)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hey guys, I need a decent respiriator mask! I don't have a big budget but I'd like some decent protection for nasty dust when I grind steel etc. I don't do it alot but those crappy meshy paper ones I use aren't very good! I end up with black dust in my nose and likely some in my lungs, not something I want!

can anyone reccommend a good mask? or good diposbale masks?

I had a look on axminster and amazon but some input/help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
No the filters are not replacable. 3M call it a disposable mask, but I have been using mine for almost a year now with steel & wood and it is still going strong. I use the vacuum cleaner on it from time to time and keep it away from dust when not in use. I find it much better than the paper masks, and cheaper in the long run.

negtneg

Dec 29, 2010
Northamptonshire, UK
I used to be an Inspector with the HSE - we were issued with 3m stuff, which I guess means it was the cheapest stuff that did the job ;-)

If you're just grinding, FFP2 will be sufficient, if you're welding stainless you might want to look at extraction due to the chromium content. Disposables are good and comfortable, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-valved-dust-respirator-p2-9322/19176

or for replaceable filter models half face with goggles is fine, again 3m 6000 series

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/111500/18415/3M+6000+Half+Mask+Respirator

Both are good suppliers I've used in the past. Get a face fit if you can (Arco used to do this), as it does make a difference

HTH

Simon

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I can't find the replacable filters for it.. I checked out the 7500 series and the filters and attachments seem really expensive.

As I'm only gona be using it for hobby grinding and nothing major or professional I'd like a simple to use reuseable half mask that I can just take out and replace the filters as and when needed without breaking the bank.

is the 3m 6000 pretty much that?