resharpen saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
I was just reading a thread about bow saw blades and i was going to add this on to that but thought i would be better to start a different but related thread.

I thought id ask if anyone knows of a resharpenable hand saw??

We have two at work that are old and we dont really use anymore but they are too big to be easily carry bushcrafting. But they can be resharpened with a round chainsaw file.

Steve

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
are you after a resharpenable saw for cutting green wood or for workshop use on seasoned timber?

There are some very nice lie Nielson hand saw and the like availbale from Axminster, for example. they are good carpentry saws not bushcrafty greenwood saws though.

I would go to a scarp yard or recycling centre to find an old handsaw and then re cut and set the teeth for green wood. If you don't feeel up to that, then search out a handsaw from harware stores with large teeth on it (I've thought about trying masonary saws just for a giggle).

If the the saws you have at work are surplus and don't get used then you couold cut them down easily enough ;)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
was it a large pruning saw? the one iv seen has concaved teeth similar to those on a chainsaw and a tapered blade so there is no need to set the teeth.
if so i think all you have to do is sharpen it as you would a chainsaw just making sure you file all the teeth the same length.

have you got any pics?

pete

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I once saw a saw that was used for cutting logs (probably small coppice poles) It had diminishing teeth (ie the ones at the toe end were small-about 6 point, and the teeth got bigger and bigger as you went up to the heel of the saw-to about 3 point, much like a japanese rip saw. It was only small (28 inch) recycled by someone from a Disston saw. It was very precisely set out and filed.
Any chance of pictures of your saws to see the shape of the teeth?

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
was it a large pruning saw? the one iv seen has concaved teeth similar to those on a chainsaw and a tapered blade so there is no need to set the teeth.
if so i think all you have to do is sharpen it as you would a chainsaw just making sure you file all the teeth the same length.

have you got any pics?

pete

What you decribe sounds like the excact thing. I can get a pic but unless i pass work wont be till next week as im off work till then (thanks the gods!!!!)

Thats the sort of thing i was after but a smaller version.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
p1000158.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure how to add image hope that worked??

This is the type of saw i mean. It has chainsaw type teeth so you can resharpen them. The only problem is its a little big (pic taken next to small forest axe for sizing) i wondered if anyone knew of a smaller one?

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd forget it, and buy a laplander folding saw, if you want a smaller saw. If its just for cutting small poles and branchers the laplander should do it comfortably.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't think they make them any more:( your best bet is to cut it down a bit and fit a new handle. or you could make it into a folding saw, it wouldn't have to lock, how hard can it be?:)

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE