Reputation Points?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Reputation points are an odd phenomenon. They are mostly so hidden in the system that you don't even notice them if you have received them. You actively have to seek them out in your CP, (or check the scales on your own post?). The only time I come across them is if I go to "User CP" for something else and find somebody gave or took some rep and it could have been weeks ago. I note someone's question on ettiquet and that is a good question. Mostly I have not responded but wondered what I should have done.

Did I recall that one of the points of them was to subtly discourage negative posts and encourage positive posts? Does it achieve this aim?

If they are a positive thing then perhaps they work by being subliminal and under noticed and perhaps this discussion does not help that?

Perhaps I should consider giving rep points. Doesn't usually come to mind.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've given a few rep. points but mostly I don't think of them when I should.

I usually add a positive comment with my posts if I follow up and save the rep. points for a good post where I have nothing to add to the conversation.

I don't think I've ever neg. repped anyone, even one or two that I thought deserved it.

On the whole a good work is social lubricant but a bad one is like sand in your food... :yuck:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Did I recall that one of the points of them was to subtly discourage negative posts and encourage positive posts? Does it achieve this aim?
Yep, it sure does..... it really cut down on alot of the dross that was posted when the rep system was added.

Before the rep system was added the mods and admin had a hard time with some posts.... peolpe were breaking rules on flaming and even lieing to make people look bad... the mods would ban them.... then the mods were accused of picking on people and whole flame wars would erupt (people post for and against bad posts and banning) causing alot of bad feeling.... it was a very hard time being a mod back then.... the rep system got rid of nearly all of this in one swoop as it kept it off the forum and the old feeling of BCUK came back :D A good thing from my point of view.

:)
Ed

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Toddy said:
I've just noticed the two dots :eek: I did wonder what you were on about :confused:
I know Stuart has them but there must be more than two folks, surely? There's an awful lot of good stuff on the forum, and a lot of people posting really excellent information and advice.

Anyway, thank you kindly people :grouphug:

Cheers,
Mary

I'm 23 points short of my second dot! ! ! The build up is killing me! ! ! lol :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I also thought that the rep level you were at defined the number of points you were able to give and grey dots meant that person wasn't high enough up the rep chain to give points, where as when somebody like Stuart does it they give about 10 at a time.... at least that's what I've observed with mine.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Reactions: Phil562

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE