reprofiling a F1

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Much as I like the F1 (including the handle which some find a little thin) I do think that the edge isn't right for my needs. I would like a more acute edge and think that a more scandi like grind might suit me better.
I know others have already done similar stuff with theirs but seem to be having trouble finding much info through searches.

I'd like to how folks did it and what they used for this job as it's removing a fair amount of hard steel, any problems you've had doing the reprofiling and any cons you've noticed in how the knife handles afterwards. I'd like to hear the good things as well.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Andy, I like the way that the internet connects people who are the other side of the world. Similarly, I like the way I had no idea that you might be less than 5 min walk away. If you are a student in Nottingham then there is a good cnance you live in the meadows. If this is the case then you can come see what I ended up doing with mine. We will have to do it clandestinely because if the wife finds out I am meeting with someone about knives then I think she might leave me.
As for knowing if the knife is weeker with the change, I couldnt say.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I live is St Anns (just acorss the road from the vic center), but I have mates in the Medows.
I'd love to meet another guy and his knives in notts I'll PM you some contact details

I ground the convex back considerably to make a much finer edge. It's a fair amount of work even on a belt grinder. Jean-Marc did exactly the same to his except that he went further and made a new handle.
I'd think that if a person wants a scandi edge, then it's better to start with a blade set up for that - such as a Mora. In the Fallkniven line I use an H1 with a Scandi grind.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE