Replacement for hammock webbing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
I'm thinking of replacing the webbing on my DD hammock. I know that I could use the whoopee slings etc bundle, but I quite like tying the knots. Would a couple of tree huggers and an ample amount of good paracord do?

cheers,
Leif

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Cotswold and ellisbrigham sell acessory cord in different thickneses and strenghts, 3-4mm should be good enough (they do give breaking strenght, 1kN=100kg but that's breaking point). Cheap option would be BQ, they have a whole stand with ropes and tapes, I'm using tape from BQ as a tree hugger in my setup.

I see you have already made your choice, anyway, you have the option of upgrading to whoopie slings now!
For whoopies use bare dyneema/amsteel blue or the like. I used the 2.5mm thick verison (7/64"). You cannot tie knots with bare dyneema rope, it is too slippery and too fragile (stranding)
I upgraded to whoopies and I'm really pleased with the result. For treestraps I used 2,5cm polyester webbing (the automotive security belt type), a dutch clip and a marlin spike hitch to hang the whoopie from.

For tying knots I'd indeed use dyneema core with polyester cover, like this: http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Dyneema-Polyester-cord-3mm-three-coloured::516.html

Alternatively you could make a complete webbing suspension without the ropes but that is unnecessarily heavy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE