Replacement Boots any ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MichaelUK

Jan 25, 2009
Leeds
Looking to replace my boots but have no idea of the better ones on the market, also if possible not going to cost the earth, what me being a yorkshireman and all that :)

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lowa make some nice boots, the military ones are a bit on the steep side but they also make some good civvy boots.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
What do you want to do with them? Winter, Summer use? Moorland, woodland, mountaing climbing? How often are you going to use them? Loads of boots out there, and you don't need to spend a fortune. :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - Lowa, Meindl and Alt-berg for leather, Lundhags for something different - are all on my "like a lot" list....but they aint cheap.
Aldis do some VFM boots.....
TK Max do some cut price boots - but never seem to have 9s in stock....

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Lundhags all the way. No mebranes that gets ruined, no unnecessary seams, no padding that soaks up moisture and keeps them from drying, just a solid built good boot that will keep you going for years and years and years...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Are they the ones with the removable insulating liner??

They used to have one model with that. It is still made but I haven't seen it for a while. Another brand, Jörn, still makes boots with removable felt liners. They are very different from sorel or similar pack boots.

Tamarack sells lundhags. I prefer the scout model. RM used the professionals in some episode of wild food.

The lundhags husky, a winter boot with skiing sole:
prod62_A.jpg

Lundhags scout, all year walking boot:
1040146.jpg

EDIT: They actually had several models with removable inners. Not really updated :eek: I just use the scouts for everything.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have had a pair of karrimor KSB boots I bought them in 1991 for £60. They are just about finished. Not bad 18 years or so of use (including for work until steelies became compulsory). So unsurprisingly I wanted a replacement. Newer KSB's dont do anything for me. I eventually decided on a pair of leather swedish army boots-new unissued ones (£35). I wanted a straightforward simple boot, no wicking this and absorbent that. In fact they are pretty much like the boots I remember my Dad and Grandad wearing years ago, and they are pretty much like my clogs as well-strong, solid and a bit on the heavy side. The leather is unbelievable quality it smells fantastic. They will need breaking in, but even on a first wearing they fit real well. I saw the lunhag's website, the army boots seem to have a similar shape and construction.
PS Big Swede what leather treatment would be recomended in Swedish army for their boots?
cheers Mr D

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Looking to replace my boots but have no idea of the better ones on the market, also if possible not going to cost the earth, what me being a yorkshireman and all that :)

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

I just got a pair of Meindl Burma Pros. They are great. Though they do cost a bit (depending on your defintion of "a bit") at £130.

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
I have had a pair of karrimor KSB boots I bought them in 1991 for £60. They are just about finished. Not bad 18 years or so of use (including for work until steelies became compulsory). So unsurprisingly I wanted a replacement. Newer KSB's dont do anything for me. I eventually decided on a pair of leather swedish army boots-new unissued ones (£35). I wanted a straightforward simple boot, no wicking this and absorbent that. In fact they are pretty much like the boots I remember my Dad and Grandad wearing years ago, and they are pretty much like my clogs as well-strong, solid and a bit on the heavy side. The leather is unbelievable quality it smells fantastic. They will need breaking in, but even on a first wearing they fit real well. I saw the lunhag's website, the army boots seem to have a similar shape and construction.
PS Big Swede what leather treatment would be recomended in Swedish army for their boots?
cheers Mr D

am i right you wear clogs,lancashire type by any chance

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
The picture above seems like it's showing user replaceable soles, Is this true?
If not, are they available for our standards of use?
And if so does anyone know a good supplier, I have to replace my meindl's big time, and this would be a far more acceptable option.

P.S. sorry for hijacking, but the topic may be relevant to the thread started so I put it here instead of a new thread.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
am i right you wear clogs,lancashire type by any chance

LOL yes I wear clogs, made by Walkleys at Hebden Bridge, so not strictly "lancashere" ones. I have a pair of steelie ones for work. I got them around 1996 for about £45. I was working in a pallet factory at the time and the ordinary boots, (factory issue:) ) kept getting speared through with nails. I thought why not try clogs and never looked back. I repair and resole them myself. They are very comfortable and simply do not smell like trainer and fairy slipper type boots do and are brilliant when your up a ladder they dont bend and tire your feet

MichaelUK

Jan 25, 2009
Leeds
Thanks for the advice guys, i am thinking around £50 to £70 for the price tag maybe to £100 if i leave it another month or so to buy them.
Going to used all year round walking in woodlands and moorland.
Still not decided on which to yet but at least i have options now.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Right picture wrong part, I am talking about that great big squared (un cut looking) user replacable sole sticking out the front of them...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE