Removing tipp-ex from goretex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just colour it over with crayon, or use scissors to cut it out and repair wi gaffa tape :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nail varnish remover will soften it, then scrape it off....no idea how it will effect the Goretex though... you can get Tipex thinners but again, it may damage the Goretex.
A 70 % alcohol solution such as rubbing alcohol or surgical spirirts may work too. Always test a small unseen area first.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Nail varnish remover will soften it, then scrape it off....no idea how it will effect the Goretex though... you can get Tipex thinners but again, it may damage the Goretex.
A 70 % alcohol solution such as rubbing alcohol or surgical spirirts may work too. Always test a small unseen area first.

Thanks, tried a bit of nail varnish remover under the cuff to see what happens. Would the damage be visible?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yeah I think so.......... the main risk is the goretex softening & melting which you would easily be able to see. Try again on the cuff just to be sure. If you do decide to use it don't forget to rinse well aferwards.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What goretex jacket is it, the actual membrane is usually on the inside of a polyester fabric, it shouldn't do any harm to the waterpoofing qualities. I'd try a bit of turps in a hidden area first though and see if it brings the colour out.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As a Decorator, theres not much I can't fetch paint off :)

I'd leave the solvents first and scrub it with a baby wipe, they fetch paint off as well as proprietary wipes. If that fails, put some meths on the baby wipe and scrub again. Theres no many coatings meths won't loosen and it shouldn't damage the material.

Microfibre cloths are also fantastic for removing paint. A little it of tech wash on a damp microfibre should fetch most of it off. If not, add a bit of meths to the cloth and try again.

Last edited:

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
As a Decorator, theres not much I can't fetch paint off :)

I'd leave the solvents first and scrub it with a baby wipe, they fetch paint off as well as proprietary wipes. If that fails, put some meths on the baby wipe and scrub again. Theres no many coatings meths won't loosen and it shouldn't damage the material.

Microfibre cloths are also fantastic for removing paint. A little it of tech wash on a damp microfibre should fetch most of it off. If not, add a bit of meths to the cloth and try again.

Meths worked and didn't damage anything :D

Thanks for the help :)

Simon

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Glad it worked for you :)

Did you use a babywipe or or just meths?

I tried a Microfibre cloth with some tech wash, that brought most of it off and just left a flat stain. Then put a bit of meths on it rubbed and everything went white so I panicked, ran it under the tap and it came off :D

might have worked with just meths, used some of the clear stuff though. Would the coloured one have dyed it?

Thanks again :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I tried a Microfibre cloth with some tech wash, that brought most of it off and just left a flat stain. Then put a bit of meths on it rubbed and everything went white so I panicked, ran it under the tap and it came off :D

might have worked with just meths, used some of the clear stuff though. Would the coloured one have dyed it?

Thanks again :)

Good Info Simon :)

The coloured meths would have stained it temporarily but it fades to nothing quite quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE