Removing axe handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
The haft on one of my GB axes has started to split along the grain so I want to replace it. Can anyone suggest the best way of removing the haft from the head without damaging the head. It is held on by a wooden wedge running parallel to the head crossed by an angled metal wedge.

Cheers

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep

Theres an article I did somewhere n re-helving if it helps. Saw the helve off close to the head, drill repeatedly along the line of the wooden wedge. It usually comes out in pieces. Save the metal wedge if you can - you'll need it fo the next helve. If you mank it up, tell me and I'll post you a spare.

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I always saw them off just where the handle meets the head. Then a couple holes drilled through the center on each side of the metal wedge, at that point it should tap out. If not then drill another hole and use a bigger hammer until it's free.

I've heard of people trying to burn the handle out of the head, that is the worst thing you could do, all the heat is absorbed by the mass of steel surrounding the eye and transfered directly to the thinnest part of the ax, which is the blade edge. That heat softens the blade just a little so it won't stay sharp as long.

Red beat me to it, he types much faster, I hear he used two fingers! ;)

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Thanks guys, seems to be a consensus of opinion there, lots of drilling.

I've known people go the burning out route Weaver, but like you say that's got to do the hardness no good at all and as this is an axe that I use for planing and shaping timbers it has to hold a good edge.

I'll have a read of your article before I start Red.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE