Removing a tick with a Q tip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Good short clip if youve never seen a tick removed.

[video=youtube;M8d5XROmp8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8d5XROmp8o[/video]

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
The advice from the Lyme Disease website and NHS is not to use anything other than tick removal tools.

While they may not like it tools are a quick and effective method, most if not all other methods result in the tick being stressed or dying. The last thing they do is to regurgitate the contents of their stomach. This increases the risk of infection and Lyme disease. Tick tools are designs to avoid pressure on the body if the tick as squeezing one again causes it to regurgitate.

We found a tick recently on a Cub. We used a tool and the Cub has shown no sign of infection. That surely must stress the tick in the video pushing it around. Where as a quick upwards motion and they are out. Never also use fat pointed twizzers , they can cause you to squeeze the tick. Fine pointed are better as you can get under the tick to where it is attached.

Just saying by the way and not wishing to upset the OP, just trying to help.

Last edited:

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
NO NO NO NO NO. For all the above reasons. There are dedicated pages about these blighters and the frightening lyme disease.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
A single piece of thread looped around the ticks mouthparts, or thin tweezers as close to the mouthparts as possible and pull straight up and out will work in a pinch but isn't ideal. NEVER sqeeze or smoother a tick. You can buy a tick removal tool on Amazon for less than £1 and get some topical antibiotic on asap. Most tick bites are harmless and won't cause problems. But some do. Sure Eddie will back me up on the fact lymes is no joke

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…..and how many people actually have the tweezers, the tick keys, the otom tick removers ? But I'd bet every household has cotton buds.

Tweezers are not supposed to be a good idea either, that's why the little tick remover tool was invented….and you twist before you lift with that too.

If you can find a link to the tools at under a quid, please do post. The last time I bought them they cost me a fiver.

M

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I have tick tools.

If your ok with ordering via China there are a few on EBay for 99p. Some with free postage, one had two for £1.98 and free postage.

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
…..and how many people actually have the tweezers, the tick keys, the otom tick removers ? But I'd bet every household has cotton buds.

Tweezers are not supposed to be a good idea either, that's why the little tick remover tool was invented….and you twist before you lift with that too.

If you can find a link to the tools at under a quid, please do post. The last time I bought them they cost me a fiver.

M

Kerbl Tick-Away Forceps on Card Plastic https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001TNRLY0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_69gIvbKEHTQH6
£1.49 sorry they must have gone up since I bought my last.
It was more the method that shocked me there excerting any pressure onto the tick abdomen is a really bad idea

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those forceps are just wide bladed tweezers….which we are advised not to use, and those tick remover tools from China are knock offs and the tips are too thick to slide under the little ticks.
The lasso type is also not recommended 'cos it can nip off the head of the blighter.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's worth spending more to get it right, but many folks are on tight budgets and the price for a small tool can seem excessive.

I suspect that the cheap ones are just taken from a mould of the original finer tipped ones.

I think the simplicity of the damp cotton bud twirling the blighter until it pops itself free, has an appeal though. I have no idea how one would practice the technique though. I agree that not pressing down on it's gut is a very sound thing.

M

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Could you not just cut a small 'V' notch in a credit card and use the card as a lever whilst also rotating the card, or is a credit card too thick for purpose ?

It is what I have thought of using if I did not have the proper O'tom type tick remover.

I don't have a dedicated tick remover, what is the best type?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
looks like a pretty good technique to me, I did part of the Great Glen Way about a month ago and got 6 ticks on the back of my knees, I had to get a bit creative that day, ended up gouging them out with a rock and rubbing in some hand sanitiser , yea rough I know, nothing else I could do at the time but I certainly wasn't going to leave them in my legs for 2 or 3 days till I got home, its still itchy when I sweat, right now I have 4 big holes round my right ankle from ticks a couple of weeks ago and removed 3 from my belly and groin yesterday. My chick ran her hand down my leg the other night and nearly puked when she touched the scabs, Bless, Honestly in the last 10 years I think I must have had about 500 ticks easy, I do carry the tick tool 99.9999% of the time I forgot my FAK once in the last 10 years. The tick in the vid looked like it came out pretty clean to me.
Hi RORYMAX Some times the ticks are so small I don't know I have them till I get a wee itchy swelling and even with the small tool very hard to remove , as for the thread technique or cutting a notch in a bit of plastic no chance, for the wee ones anyway. some time I have to use the macro on my camera and zoomin just to ID the little ######.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have the tick key among the plethora of 'good things for removing ticks', and though it does work, it only works on biggish ones. That's the only reason I'm a bit hesitant to say that the credit card idea would work. It does have a huge advantage in that it hangs on everybody in the family's keyring, so it's right at hand, iimmc.
Someone needs to sort out doing that for the otom tool thing because of all of them, that's the easiest and most reliable one I think.

Himself seems to attract ticks, and keds :yuck: so I kind of went a bit overboard trying out all the variables around.

The fine tipped gripper nipper tweezers work well too, and they do hang on the keyrings.

M

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi again Rorymax
The tool I use I got from a pet shop, but it looks very much like that credit card tool would actually do the same job , very similar, first time I've seen that one , if the v notch is tiny it should work ok, as soon as my camera is charged ill post a image, but do like the wallet EDC idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE