Remote Scottish Island

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Anyone know of a remote Scottish Island that is uninhabited?
It must fit the following criteria;
As remote as possible.
With woodland of some sorts.
Accessible by boat from the main land.
It could also be an Island on a loch, but must have no-one living on it.

These are all for a charity project that I am looking into for next year.
Any info please post or IM me.

Thanks.
Jason

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think this could be your lucky day (except maybe about the woodland - I'm not sure)! :)
It has remote in spades though. :lmao:

http://www.shiantisles.net/visit.htm

I'd recommend the book "Sea Room" as an interesting read anyway, but I'd say you'd get off to a better chance if you read the book before contacting him. He did a TV series where he circumnavigated the UK in the Auk, if you saw that.

HTH

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
You won’t find many Scottish islands with woodland other that plantation pine trees. :)
Very windy place out there on the west coast but it keeps the biting beasties away.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
hi there,
there are plenty of loch islands about that would fit your criteria. loch awe and loch lomond spring to mind. Magickelly is your best bet i believe here on info on loch islands as he canoes alot to these kind of places ( im just starting out in this lol). he has a few pics on different threads off these islands that he camps on. i hope he's not too offended by myself putting him forward like this!! lol

regards
james

Yohny

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2005
Thanet, Kent
Hi...a good island choice (although no woodland, just the occasional rowan) would be Rona. This is nestled between the mainland of Applecross on the NW Coast & the Isle of Skye. Never been there, but the larger island of Raasay, just south of Rona is (or was when I used to live at Applecross in the 80's) uninhabited on the northern part of the island. Rona has a great natural harbour on the Skye side & is popular with yachts people, so you might get a visit.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I suppose Gruinard Island doesn't get many visitors, even though it's allegedly decontaminated now.

ganit

Jul 13, 2005
Pendle
There are a number of small islands in the Orkney group that im informed are uninhabited, doubt there are many trees though.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Just read in the paper that the owners of Sanda are looking for someone to look after the island for a while:

trans.gif
"The owners of a remote Scottish island are advertising for someone to look after it during the winter months with only a flock of sheep for company. Meg and Dick Gannon are searching for a caretaker for their island Sanda, which lies near the Mull of Kintyre. They want an adventurous-type person with “strong practical skills” to live on the island between November and March with no access to a television or telephone. The Gannons, who have owned the island for 15 years, said that they had already had applications from artists, yoga enthusiasts and a novelist."

http://www.sanda-island.co.uk/pages/start.html

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Thanks guys for all your and advice.
The reason I am looking for an island is for a charity / fund raising event that I am planning for next year. The basic plan is to parachute or be dropped in by helicopter onto this island. Once on the island I will remain for 14 days without help, acquiring my own food, water & life support. I have made contact with TV firms asking if they would be prepared to loan me the equipment to document my adventure and have also contacted local and national press. As mentioned it is all in the planning stage and may not even happen, but if it goes ahead then I hope to raise money for Cancer Research and The Army benevolent Fund.

Any more advice that you guys may have will be gratefully appreciated.

Jason

Jun 28, 2005
Preston
Shadow Walker said:
Thanks guys for all your and advice.
The reason I am looking for an island is for a charity / fund raising event that I am planning for next year. The basic plan is to parachute or be dropped in by helicopter onto this island. Once on the island I will remain for 14 days without help, acquiring my own food, water & life support. I have made contact with TV firms asking if they would be prepared to loan me the equipment to document my adventure and have also contacted local and national press. As mentioned it is all in the planning stage and may not even happen, but if it goes ahead then I hope to raise money for Cancer Research and The Army benevolent Fund.

Any more advice that you guys may have will be gratefully appreciated.

Jason
I had this idea too! Not had chance to pursue it with much vigour. National Geographic Channel might be interested. Recommend that you go to the Royal Geographical Society Explore Conference if you wanna make contacts and if your looking for fellow adventurers then look me up. I'm an avid student of Bushcraft as well as an Expedition Leader.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Thanks all for the advice. I am now having a serious look into all the aspect of this challenge.
I am also looking at Islands around Fiji. I am presently in talks over flight funding, while preparing to move to Germany. I will let you know how i get on with this project as and when i get news.

Cheers all
Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE