Reminiscing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have trangias too, but they need fuel, and fuel's a pain to obtain and carry. All very sound 'stoves' but not as flexible in use as the Hobo.

The Hobo stove takes whatever you have available, from twigs to dried grasses, paper to pinecones, and it works remarkably well.

Besides, it's fun to make, to innovate, to play around with different configurations. To compare and to quietly be chuffed that your idea worked.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can light a wee fire in the hexi-stove too, but it's not exactly ideal.

DIY = creative thinking, practical skills and innovation :D

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Must admit my go to stove is my pocket rocket. I like the quickness and convenience but I'm also now more interested in small woodstove and though I will be taking the p r on my trip next week for early morning brews.. i just dont function without a brew firt thing I will also be mostly using my home made ikea woodstove I call it that but it's made from a pound shop lookalike. I have the ikea version in my kitchen and to be honest put them side by side and you can't tell which is which. The hearth is an old victoria sandwich baking tin from my kithen to prevent earth scorching . I found 4 nuts and bolts for legs and I'm using an old trivety thing on top to rest my pans on though I could have used a couple of old tent pegs. Looking forward to cooking on it in earnest as I've only had a test firing and boiled water for tea so far. Cost £1.50 what's not to like? :)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am a confirmed disciple of the Coleman green box, 2-burner petrol stove. Many, many decades.
And the Coleman lanterns. Explains why I'm so comfortable with the Coleman 533 stove.
Same goes for Lodge cast iron cookware. Sure, it isn't back packing.

Funny thing about the Coleman products, you get to recognize the sounds they make.
Memory triggers.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My outdoor stove these days is a salvaged bucket BBQ fueled with stone pine cones.

I have a hobo stove...somewhere. must try it.

I found a copper lined with tin fondue pan at the car boot today.

(And I wont tell you what other treasures I found...Thats a suprise for the Moot.)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That Lodge stuff is odd. I mean it is as sound and functional as any other piece of cast iron cookware. It is just that the prices vary for it so staggeringly depending where you get it from. Just found a cheap place and will pick up one of those ridged grill pans soon as - $30. You'll need a course of growth steroids to pick up the one we have in the kitchen

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
Dry cleaners still use them. I haven't had anything dry cleaned in ages, but I have a bunch of the hangers in the, "That might come in useful" shed.

M
At risk of being horribly unseasonable, this brings back memories of Blue Peter. Two wire hangers, lashed together crosswise, whatever little lids you could beg steal or borrow for candle holders and embellish with tinsel.
One homemade advent chandelier!
No sticky back plastic involved, probably just as well ;)

Reactions: Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I have made a bunch of pots like this for the fun of it. Best one was from an Illy coffee can because of its lid. But the standard north american coffee can is quite a bit bigger and possibly more serviceable
I wish we still had the old 1 pound coffee cans. First they went down to 14 ounces in the 1970s. Then they went down again and for the past couple of decades they’ve been around 11.? ounces.

Just a way to raise prices without raising prices: keep the price the same but provide less merchandise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE