Remedies for a broken hand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi All,

I managed to break a metacarpal in my right hand at karate on Thursday night. Does anyone have any recipes/remedies (sandsnakes - poultices?) that would aid a speedy recovery?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Hi Matt

Go and pick some comfrey leaves and put them in a blender, then apply it as a poultice.

You MUST be absolutely sure that the bones are lined up right or they will set badly.

I used a comfrey potion and arnica homeopathy when I fractured my cheekbone.

The consultant at the hospital took an x-ray and told me to come back 7 days later.

When she did the second x-ray a week later she was astonished to see that it had completely healed.

There is a clue in the old english name for comfrey - Knitbone!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi tfs,

I'm seeing the consultant on Wednesday, but the xray shows that the bones not aligned, so I won't do anything yet. I've used comfrey poltices in the past quite successfully and I have plenty growing on the allotment so that won't be a problem, but I would like to know if there are any other herbs to include, many thanks and ps thanks for the kind words Geoff

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
matt - i had the same injury a couple of years ago - i didn't use anything on it, but suffered for months not being able to pick up anything heavy without it hurting. it's a hard bone to set, and mine healed a bit out of line, and the new bone growth left a wierd little lump on the side of my hand, which is quite common apparently
even now it tends to ache in a 'storm's-a-coming' kind of way
best thing is to try and use it as little as poss now and give it the best chance of healing - i was working in a busy warehouse at the time, and couldn't take time off, so i was forced to use it when i shouldn't have, which probably explains my problems!

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
I have had the same injury a few times on both hands the bones will knit on there own i broke my third metecarpal on my right hand and while having it xrayed i was told that i had at some stage broke my fourth, i was unaware it had knitted itself. As gorilla said dont use it to much it will never fully aline itself because of where its at and the lack of supporting tissue but it will knit fine though ive been told that due to the amount of damage caused to both my hands i will have pain in later years. I now have a few mounds and depressions visable but they are a good conversation point.:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Matt....There is a great remedy that I know of that will alliviate the discomfort and bring you better wellbeing.... If you can go out and find some dandelion leaves, self heal stems (there are still a few about), yarrow leaves, burdock root (just a small bit), ragwort flowers and some plantain leaves (greater plantain is best, but all types will do). On your way back from gathering this, pop into the off licence and get a large bottle of Scotch. Now go home and drink as much whiskey as it takes to come up with an idea with what to do with all the plants you collected. Your poorly hand will be a distant memory and the walk would of done you good and the world will be a great place......
edit.... Oh and stop trying to be Hong Kong Phooey too....

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt....There is a great remedy that I know of that will alliviate the discomfort and bring you better wellbeing.... If you can go out and find some dandelion leaves, self heal stems (there are still a few about), yarrow leaves, burdock root (just a small bit), ragwort flowers and some plantain leaves (greater plantain is best, but all types will do). On your way back from gathering this, pop into the off licence and get a large bottle of Scotch. Now go home and drink as much whiskey as it takes to come up with an idea with what to do with all the plants you collected. Your poorly hand will be a distant memory and the walk would of done you good and the world will be a great place......

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cheers Jon that really tickled me :lmao:

Thaks also to CB1 and gorilla for the replies.

:lmao:

Class Jon - still laughing :lmao:

Phil.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What ever you do make sure that they set your hand correctly,Ive broken my left hand once and my right hand twice,my right hand is getting worse year by year.I think due to it not being set correctly after the first two knuckles were broke.I have been told that I have nerve damage too,the last two fingers on my right mitt very often refuse to work and I have to bend then with my left!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a herbalist so not allowed to prescribe in any way....but if you dig up a root of Comfrey about 3" long and one of meadowsweet, about 2" and both thicker than a pencil, scrub them well, no need to remove the little side rootlets on the meadowsweet, then pound them both into a kind of lumpy mush and pour over enough vodka to just cover. Put the whole mess into a jam jar and screw on the lid. Leave to sit somewhere warmish for at least a couple of hours though overnight is better, and then strain. Either use this as a compress soak or turn it into a salve using beeswax and an oil like sweet almond.
This is strong, so be careful, if you are allergic to any of the ingredients, don't use, and don't get it on any mucous membranes.
Some of the old advice was to use Woundwort for small bones that were kind of near the surface, but if you *have* Comfrey anyway...

Hope it all heals well,
Cheers,
Toddy

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Have it set right, then be active as in running, walking etc.., anything physical to get the blood flowing extra, breath well oxygenate your body, eat well feed your metabolism. It will heal but let yourself heal properly or you may have re-occuring problems later.
Keep up your karate classes but no impact or stress to that limb..concentrate on your footwork. Oh yah don't repeat whatever you did to break it in the first place:D
Act in haste..repent at leisure..
Take your time and let your body dictate its own healing time frame, help with proper nutrient, exercise and rest

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks for the advice CLEM, Toddy and Carcajou Garou.

I will try to find some meadowsweet and if anyone has a decent picture/link then please pass it to me.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I busted a couple of knuckles of my right hand on a guys jaw once....never had them seen to properly but they work OK most of the time but stiffen in winter.
I find that the stiffness and ache respond well to a massage in warm oil, lavender or geranium proving most use it seems.
Spiritual healing and aromatherapy seem effective as well for the various effects of broken:- ribs, jaw, toes sturnum, skull, nose, neck: damaged :- collarbone, knees, achiles tendons, AND paralysed feft side of face.
Physio helps a bit, chiropractic helps LOTS!
Herbalist brews and aromatherapy help with kidney stones, depression and high blood pressure.
Reading through this I realise that I am a total wreck/have done too much/lived too hard/lived too long......
Each scar or ache brings back memories of the fun I had getting it though!
I still lead expeds and coach canoeing etc so the treatments still work, though I spend much of my wages on keeping myself going!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE