Relaxing weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I never seem to post in here despite doing a lot of camping. Just thought I'd throw a few pics up of a weekend spent with mates I don't get to see enough. We go camping a fair bit but the price of petrol and real life(kids) seems to make it happen less than we'd like these days...

This was the only edible thing I saw all weekend.

A quick set up for Matt

And a not so quick set up for myself. I fancied the homesteading approach unlike Matt Leigh and Dan who all went in fast and light with the set ups.

Nothing beats a fresh loaf late at night, nice one Dan.

Cowboy coffee and plenty of bacon as always

Leigh and Matt as we undertook an epic hike on the Saturday, it was time for a rest watching birds catch thermals. The sun was out in full force and was a very welcome bonus.

We worked up an appetite after putting in miles. Time to try Martin K9's lamb and mint stew. I've been lucky enough to have this on several occasions and it's consistently one of the best things I've ate indoors or out, I wanted to try to replicate it so I asked Martin for the exact ingredients and a run down of what to do. Brown lamb is step one.

All good to go once water is added

Once it was going we had plenty of time for this:

Many thanks to Martin for the recipe and inspiration to do this stew, it's hard to explain how much I like this particular dish, everything just works so well and suits being outside after hiking miles or a long day of processing wood or sitting under a tarp in the winter rain with mates. Perfection!

Thanks to Leigh, Matt and Dan for making it another great one. My main goal was to cook the stew, drink beer in good company, shoot air rifles and use my woodburner properly to test it out. Job done.

Thanks for looking.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like a great weekend out Chad... Thanks for sharing it with us :)

I know what you mean about the Lamb... it's absolutely delicious and my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nice report and pics, my kind of weekend, can smell the lamb!

I would probably have been more into helping watch you do the grub! Shooting the air rifles and of course helping with the beer drinking back at base.

Ivan...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks like you had a great weekend and had some fun. Stew looks good as does the bread. Like the Jerrycan firepit, heard of them never seen one used before. Did you make the woodburner you were testing, smart piece of kit. Cheers for posting.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice pics and looks a good trip :)

As coincidence would have it....i've got a very similar lamb stew on the go now in a dutch oven on the hob. :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
It's a stainless sprung shim steel flue from TiGoat in America. Rolls back on itself down to nothing and back to full length flue which is why I wanted it. The whole point of the folding woodburner was to save space so it was a must to import the flue. You buy them by the foot, works a treat. There's more info on it in the thread I linked in post #12 if you're interested...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE