reindeer skin as sleeping mat?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
has anyone any experiences of using reindeer skin as sleeping mat?
i.ve tried inflatable mats and can't get comfy so was considering a skin.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very toasty, they're just a nightmare to try and pack.

Great for car or canoe camping though.

If you're struggling to get comfy have a look at Alpkits' Fat Airic, again not one to carry far but very comfy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use them almost exclusively these days. I have ione that is cut down to about the width of a normal mat, with a leather bootlace tied in one end. Simoply roll it up, tie the lace around it and stick it to the outside of the pack. If you risk getting wet simply place them inside something waterproof (I use a black bin liner inside a thin canvas sack, but you can go gucci here). They are about as heavy and large as a full size closed cell foam mat, but they have something the clesed cell foam does not; "feeling".
IOW; yes, I am irrational, but I like my irrationality.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The difference with a CCF pad is that you can slide down into your pack and then stuff everything else inside it. You can't do that with a pack full of fur.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Reindeer skins are very warm but there's no padding. So if you mean by comfort that you need more padding then you won't find what you are looking for in a reindeer skin.

Otherwise cut them up like forestwalker mentions to make them smaller and lighter.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
A lot warmer and ever so slightly softer than lying on concrete, they shed hair and are huge to pack.

Nice if on top of a foam mat and you have a car to carry them. I gave 2 away after spending a warm, but very uncomfortable night on them. I'd go with sheepskins, nearly as warm, easier to pack and dont moult hair everywhere.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE