Regional Medical Expertise - trauma creates knowledge!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pondering the thread title about an alternative to the Israelis bandage got me thinking about how the Israeli bandage became regarded so highly. It got me thinking about the IDF and how violence against them drove development in better emergency first aid specifically with bandages.

It's the same in other areas such as IoM for motorbike/ car crashes. Thailand for castration (don't ask, I readabout it following the Bobbit incident in USA, it's very common over there apparently).

So how many other regional specialities derive from experience due to occurrence being higher than usual? I'm simply curious and reckon there's paramedics or military medics indeed simply very knowledgeable people on here who probably can add to use instances I gave.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
absolutely..... and now the Royal Victoria in Belfast is the world leader in reconstructive knee surgery used by injured sports men from all over the world.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I’ll never be without one,I got a nasty slice in my forearm from a piece of flint embedded in a tree. I would put the photos on hear but not sure if it’s permitted?

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Quite a few things evolved out of the Vietnam war, they realised that if blood transfusions were given constantly it actually prevented the bleeding from stopping naturally, and realised the importance of compression dressings, they also found giving excessive amounts of oxygen would trigger the brain to stop the breathing process, as the brain controlled the breathing by monitoring the oxygen intake, when the intake was excessive it would stop the breathing process.
I'm sure there are a lot of advances in medical treatment gained from the horrors of war, and violence that have helped mankind.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Quite a few things evolved out of the Vietnam war, they realised that if blood transfusions were given constantly it actually prevented the bleeding from stopping naturally, and realised the importance of compression dressings, they also found giving excessive amounts of oxygen would trigger the brain to stop the breathing process, as the brain controlled the breathing by monitoring the oxygen intake, when the intake was excessive it would stop the breathing process.
I'm sure there are a lot of advances in medical treatment gained from the horrors of war, and violence that have helped mankind.

that’s the wrong way round, the body in normal health monitors c02 levels and that provides the respiratory drive.
The body only uses o2 as it’s trigger in the presence of chronic lung disease where the c02 is persistently abnormally high so cannot be relied upon by the body.

Giving 2 much oxygen to a chronic lung disease (co2 retaining disease) will suppress the respiratory drive as the body thinks ‘great I have loads of o2 so don’t need to breathe’ - there is no back up to this as it has learnt to ignore the co2 drive so they literally will only breathe at a couple of breaths a minute which will cause an increase in co2 (which the body isn’t monitoring anymore!) which makes the blood more acidotic and eventually cause unconsciousness.

In a healthy individual without co2 retaining chronic lung disease too much oxygen won’t stop you breathing but if breathing 100% oxygen for a long long period of time it can actually cause alveolar oedema and inhibit gas exchange. Takes a while to get to that point though.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So are there any medical or first responder techniques, treatments or kit named after the location they were developed due to localm circumstances creating more opportunities to encounter a condition that it was developed for? I assume Israelis dressing read developed in Israel because of a need for the performance advantages of offers.

For example is there a special Thai stitch for a certain male only repair job? Or a design of artificial knee cap in northern Ireland? Or perhaps a special dressing for gravel rash in IoM???

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
So are there any medical or first responder techniques, treatments or kit named after the location they were developed due to localm circumstances creating more opportunities to encounter a condition that it was developed for? I assume Israelis dressing read developed in Israel because of a need for the performance advantages of offers.

For example is there a special Thai stitch for a certain male only repair job? Or a design of artificial knee cap in northern Ireland? Or perhaps a special dressing for gravel rash in IoM???
When I worked in burns we used a dressing called a gamgee- named after the bdoctor that invented it, does that count?

Reactions: Paul_B

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The only things similar I can think of is the SAM splint, again Vietnam, but it’s named after the Dr who developed it. I believe he made prototypes out of helicopter body panels...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Just reading up on how the Israeli bandage came about.

I think Emergency Bandage is it's official name. And no one knows why it's referred to as an Israeli bandage, including the inventor, Bernard Bar-Natan. He was an Israeli military medic who was dissatisfied at using WW2 era manufactured dressings, and using stones to increase pressure on wounds that weren't clotting.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
SAM splint is a good piece of kit imo

Oh absolutely.. Having used them in anger once or twice as part of a “hasty team” with mountain rescue I bought a couple of my own. One for the house and one for the car. Just as important as an oleas bandage, I keep them everywhere too.. from the glove box to my rucksack to the workshop I’m never far behind one. I’d highly reccomend everyone to get at least one Sam splint and an oleas as a bare minimum!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Oh absolutely.. Having used them in anger once or twice as part of a “hasty team” with mountain rescue I bought a couple of my own. One for the house and one for the car. Just as important as an oleas bandage, I keep them everywhere too.. from the glove box to my rucksack to the workshop I’m never far behind one. I’d highly reccomend everyone to get at least one Sam splint and an oleas as a bare minimum!

agreed, the sam splint is not very expensive either and there is nothing to go wrong with it, would recommend it for everyone’s main kit as well

Reactions: FerlasDave

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Further to Robbi's comments about the RVH in the early 70's there was an influx of Dr's from all over the world, including Russia at one point, to gain experience of gunshot wounds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE