Reed mace(Bull rush) cordage?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi I have used Reed Mace leaves for cordage before, literally no preparation, take a leaf split it in half(down the middle) and twist the same way as nettle/bramble.
much easier and quicker to work with but sadly not as strong.

problem is this I can't remember, does it have to be reasonable fresh when used?
I seem to remember using green and dried leaves but I don't know how old they were, should I collect a bundle(which would obviously dry) for demonstration use next summer?:confused:

I've found a massive patch of the plant, I can get without getting wet (due to very low water levels)!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I'm using the greater reedmace for basketry (we call it soft rush) then I peel off the dried leaves and just twist them into cordage for tieing bundles. I just dampen them first. Don't leave them damp, they go mouldy very fast.

The other rush, which sometimes folks call soft rush, (like they call the reedmace bullrush), is perhaps better called field rush. We pull that, let it sit for a few days and then twist it into cordage and ply it up into ropes. These ropes are traditionally used to make keeshies / cushies.......the traditonal back basket used for carrying everything from peats to fish.
The rushes are used three at a time to make the first cordage (that's three on each of two strands), then it's trebled to make the rope.

cheers,
Toddy

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Very interesting about the other uses! I'd forgotten about basket weaving!

The rushes are used three at a time to make the first cordage (that's three on each of two strands), then it's trebled to make the rope.

aha! so then you could use it for more jobs! :eek: should have known better(add more fibers)!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE