Reed Fishing Floats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Decided to make a batch of Reed and BBQ Bamboo (skewer) Floats
So an Expedition for some Reeds
01_zpst5hfdlwd.jpg~original

Think I've enough
02_zpso9ecgime.jpg~original

needed a holder to keep them organised so while Mrs QDanT was out
took over the Kitchen
03_zpsodp5knra.jpg~original

then back to the front room
04_zpsl6rd7rou.jpg~original

the Bamboo tips and stem glued in with Super glue
05_zpswziw4gwj.jpg~original

came up with a Mk2 mod for the holder
06_zpsmnr7hmcd.jpg~original

used thin Brass picture wire wrapped round a nail to form an eye before whipping on
07_zpscw8uvjwa.jpg~original

painted the tip with Acrylic white then x2 coats of Fluorescent Orange then painted the whole Float with clear two part Epoxy,
09_zpsdubuuw6o.jpg~original

it said 30 minutes working time but after 5 minutes it was like trying to paint Snot so I only mixed a little
and painted them x4 at a time any over painted on the next eye whippings to give me somewhere to hold
08_zpsympkffc6.jpg~original

10_zpshwtnrdrp.jpg~original

11_zps51wvnpyu.jpg~original

12_zps7wb6ed5y.jpg~original

not really a how to, just how I worked round it

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Needed a holder to keep them organised so while Mrs QDanT was out
took over the Kitchen:
03_zpsodp5knra.jpg~original

What an appalling and cavalier approach to Health & Safety. At least have the bear remove his cloths before putting to work on machinery with inadequate guarding!

K

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Very nice, good job. A couple of things worth trying if you haven't already done so at some time in the past, instead of the brass wire try a simple loop of heavy nylon fishing line and when you whip it on carry on with the whipping right up the main body of the float with a loose spiral finishing off the whipping at the top of the body where the insert enters, it's surprising after varnishing how much strength it adds to the float. Just to emphasize, nothing wrong with the way you have done it, just a way of making a slightly stronger float from what can be quite a fragile material.

D.B.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Very nice, good job. A couple of things worth trying if you haven't already done so at some time in the past, instead of the brass wire try a simple loop of heavy nylon fishing line and when you whip it on carry on with the whipping right up the main body of the float with a loose spiral finishing off the whipping at the top of the body where the insert enters, it's surprising after varnishing how much strength it adds to the float. Just to emphasize, nothing wrong with the way you have done it, just a way of making a slightly stronger float from what can be quite a fragile material.

D.B.

Cheers :beerchug: for that I've just welded up a hand drill Whipping tool and will get some photo's up soon, these are the first Floats I've made
so it's a bit re-inventing the wheel as I go along :confused: Some of them I added lead shot down the Reed before adding the tip and stem
to make them semi self cocking

Last edited:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Here's one trying out the hand drill whipping tool, it's yet to be finished painting and this time I'm going to try Yatch varnish as a top coat
14_zpsqhynjzfv.jpg~original

15_zpsgpuwppge.jpg~original

16_zpss70bmk7r.jpg~original

13_zps5ls6g8aw.jpg~original

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
nice to see some hand made floats on the forum, I liked the little one with the ''ball'' on which reminded me of the typical perch floats I used as a child. I used to make floats myself from various materials, favourites being various feathers, goose and crow quills etc. I used brass rabbit snare wire for the eyes, though you can use straightened out eyed fishing hooks and push them up into the stem. I often use a sliding float so like a solid eye so that the fishing line will run freely through it. I would suggest breaking up the colour pattern of the top of float, orange/white/orange (or colours of choice) as it is easier to see bites particularly delicate ones. Thanks posting, very nice, and good luck if you use them :) :fishing:

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
When making the Reed floats I just happened to find an Oak apple http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_apple
in my waistcoat pocket, so gave it a try, it worked that well I went out on an ‘Oak Apple’ expedition and managed to find some down the old disused railway line and seen as this was near the ‘Punchbowl Inn’ sat out in the sunshine for a few pints and a pipe thinking about making the eye whipping easier. Back home and down to the Shed and a route in my ‘scrap (it’ll come in handy one day) bin’ then out with the welder to make :-
01_zps0o7iflnu.jpg~original

02_zpssw56robv.jpg~original

lots of control being hand turned
03_zps5vxx8qej.jpg~original

and the Oak apple lends itself to beeing drilled through by already having one hole in where the Wasp came out
04_zpsga7ho59d.jpg~original

with it threaded through the Oak apple I used the 'tail stock width of 2" to cut the extra Bamboo off then a drop of Super glue a coat of white Acrylic and two Orange it was coated with two part Epoxy as the Reed Floats
05_zpsszzqhlan.jpg~original

06_zpswlbyadtg.jpg~original

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
nice to see some hand made floats on the forum, I liked the little one with the ''ball'' on which reminded me of the typical perch floats I used as a child. I used to make floats myself from various materials, favourites being various feathers, goose and crow quills etc. I used brass rabbit snare wire for the eyes, though you can use straightened out eyed fishing hooks and push them up into the stem. I often use a sliding float so like a solid eye so that the fishing line will run freely through it. I would suggest breaking up the colour pattern of the top of float, orange/white/orange (or colours of choice) as it is easier to see bites particularly delicate ones. Thanks posting, very nice, and good luck if you use them :) :fishing:

Cheers :beerchug: I was thinking of using a piece of black silicon rubber tubing say 1/2" long that just fits over the orange tip, thread this on the line first then through the float eye, that way the float can be slid up or down the line to adjust depth. But being new to float fishing I'd welcome any comments
float%20setup_zpsprc41ezm.jpg~original

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The soft tube to hold the line is a super idea, I have done exactly the same for a long time..
One thing though - you need to place the end of the soft tube so there is no space between the emerging line and float end. You can easily catch the end of line ( with the hook and bait) there.
If the tube is placed all the way to the tip, the line end just slides down.

Some great floats on this thread!

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Those oak Apple floats really look the business! The way you've got the rubber tube rigged with the line running through it on the reed floats used to be the traditional way of mounting floats before the fashion turned to bottom only attachment. When I started fishing, all floats were attached like that and it's still my preferred method, but, then again, as I'm older than God's dog it's a bit late to change now!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
The soft tube to hold the line is a super idea, I have done exactly the same for a long time..
One thing though - you need to place the end of the soft tube so there is no space between the emerging line and float end. You can easily catch the end of line ( with the hook and bait) there.
If the tube is placed all the way to the tip, the line end just slides down.

Some great floats on this thread!

Cheers :beerchug: maybe a small clear tube at the top so the tip is Orange Black Orange, though I was 'trotting' it down the local river (Aire at Skipton) yesterday and it was visible a long way. Caught a nice Grayling and a small Brow Trout on worm :)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Those oak Apple floats really look the business! The way you've got the rubber tube rigged with the line running through it on the reed floats used to be the traditional way of mounting floats before the fashion turned to bottom only attachment. When I started fishing, all floats were attached like that and it's still my preferred method, but, then again, as I'm older than God's dog it's a bit late to change now!

:lmao::You_Rock_

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Thought I'd have a play with the Whipping tool
f4_zpsiubyjzlh.jpg~original

but first I made some Bobbin holders rather than keep swaping cotton
f8_zpso4rsie0z.jpg~original

f9_zpsskmzdata.jpg~original

f10_zps8bgdqulj.jpg~original

f11_zpsx8x7elcw.jpg~original

f12_zpse3gsnabm.jpg~original

then I had the idea to make them semi self cocking to save shotting on the line
f5_zpsnhyudqlh.jpg~original

f6_zps4euimz2m.jpg~original

f7_zpsakd9xil1.jpg~original

f3_zpssbkmrbbp.jpg~original

f1_zpsudmkb5og.jpg~original

f2_zpsmvhe6j3m.jpg~original

I'm off down the River this afternoon, one of the benefits of being an OAP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE