Redbull stratos free fall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Watched it live yesterday too, blooming brilliant stuff, I had the fear watching the footage, no way could I have stepped off that ledge, the guys a courageous beast methinks.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I don't know, I have thrown myself out of a few planes, including some old clunkers where I had to climb out onto a step and wait before letting go, but when I watched the footage of him stepping out and onto that step I thought "nah! not for me". :)

agreed. I don't normally suffer from vertigo, but that footage of him jumping off messed with my head.

What's the big deal?

The big deal was in pushing a boundary; to do as others have done is always more straightforward.
No one, living or dead, has taken a balloon flight to that altitude, opened the door at that altitude, or stepped off the edge.

It has taken 50 years for this happen, Kittinger, the previous record holder, made his jump in 1960 using little more than sticks and duct tape by comparison. They have developed, amongst other things, a new balloon technology, and a next generation space suit.

If you look at the numbers (and I love the numbers) then you will see how amazing it was.
128,100ft high (that's 24 miles up)
passed through outside temperatures of minus 95 degrees on his ascent/descent
achieved an unassisted free fall speed of over 833mph

Looking from the outside this is trivial, its not curing disease or anything but pushing human boundaries will always look crazy to most people (look at most if Sir Ranulph Fiennes achievements for examples) but humans, as a race, we insist on pushing our limits and that's what has to be admired and celebrated.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
So he reached 833mph? Good going. Wonder how long it took him to slow down to terminal velocity of 122mph? Thats gotta hurt. It'd be like diving into water from a 300ft cliff.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
He will have done :). You stabilise yourself using the air resistance, wlth subtle movement of hands and feet, as well as body position. No air resistance = no ability to stabilise and control your descent. I'm surprised he recovered as he will have suffered from the spin, then to decelerate from 833 to 122 mph in a short amount of time,..hes a tough guy to be sure.

wow he got some tumble going before he got into air resistance!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is the big deal not also something to do with possible self rescue from near earth orbit or craft entering the atmosphere science too?

Thought i heard that somewhere?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is the big deal not also something to do with possible self rescue from near earth orbit or craft entering the atmosphere science too?

Thought i heard that somewhere?

That was the point behind Kittenger's jump in 1960; he was a test jumper for NASA. I think this jump was all about the records though.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Could easily ( and certainly will have somewhere) been for both. :)

Technically, can't do one without the other. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
This jump. Could have been dual purpose, one because of the other. Bloke jumps from record heights at record speeds, breaking records. But it could easily have been a test for someone (sponsor?) too. The record thing because something needed testing.... Nothing wrong with it. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I suppose it "could" have been; but red Bull doesn't make or market aviation gear, just the drink so it seems unlikely.

All that said, IIRC Kittenger's jump wasn't really an "official" record as they didn't meet the documentation reqired by whatever authority keeps such records.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Im certain there will be a ton of valid scientific data from all the instruments he was carrying. Even if it was 'just a jump' it was still an epic achievement that pushes the boundaries of what mankind can do. Why climb the mountain? Because its there! This guy also invented the jet powered wing suit. Id say he's made a great contribution to science.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It was on it's way down on a parachute when I switched off last night, it was a bit slower than he was.

I think the balloon was cut free

thanks for that, i was just curious, i had visions of it floating around up there for ages :)

cheers

stuart

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Agreed he made a contributiuon and the jump was well worth it. Just setting the bar higher for the next generation is reason enough in itself.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Felix is standing on the step of the capsule...

The ground team ask him "have you got vertigo?",

Felix replies in his Austrian accented English "no, it is only twenty three miles".

:)

I'll get my coat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE