Redbull stratos free fall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one Robbi, I forgot he was going for it today

I was following developments during the week but the wind was paying up.

I've had to switch to 240p res to keep a constant connection, it's still watchable though

Go Felix

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Just watched him fall from the capsule. This makes for a better soundtrack.

[video=youtube;e9vrfEoc8_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g[/video]

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just watched it. Not thrilling but fascinating. I wonder if he was scared when he jumped. amazing how fast he spend away from the capsule. what a feat.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Ok i know i'm going to sound like a miserable old bugger here, but this has been top story on ALL my usual UK news sites.

What's the big deal?

Sure the guy has a very large and probably made of steel pair of manly things BUT all he did was step off a ledge and pull a cord right?

Apart from his bravery has he done anything else like design and build the balloon thing?

They're also saying he broke the sound barrier at, he topped out at 710mph, by my quick calculation i came to 740mph as the sound barrier, plus were was the sonic boom?

Looks to me as though the real hero's in this are his managers and publishers :lmao:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Preliminary results of the jump showed Baumgartner spent about 4 minutes and 20 seconds in freefall (a record without a drogue parachute). His maximum speed was 833 mph (1,342.8 kph), said Brian Utley, an air sports official watching over event.

The jump's top speed was thus Mach 1.24 — considerably faster than the speed of sound. Applause and cheers erupted in a post-jump press conference as Utley relayed the good news.
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-highes...kes-record-breaking-supersonic-181843879.html

Superb stuff :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...BUT all he did was step off a ledge and pull a cord right?..."

I don't know, I have thrown myself out of a few planes, including some old clunkers where I had to climb out onto a step and wait before letting go, but when I watched the footage of him stepping out and onto that step I thought "nah! not for me". :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, there's no pleasing some people! That stepping off a ledge would take a fair amount of courage I would have thought...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE