Red Squirrel Encounter - How Rare?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Have you ever seen a Red Squirrel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Have never seen one in England. Saw one in Scotland last Summer up near Pitlochry and another over in Sweden.

not the best pic in the world, but this was the one over in Sweden (its the blur in the middle lol ):

P1010008.JPG

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Where my parents live, they are more or a nuisance (yep many lil red fellas around) as they tend to make their "nest" inside houses rooftop/walls.

We even bought a trap in order to catch and release them in the wild (a few kilometers away from my parent's house)

So yeah, I've seen more than my share of red squirrels, but also chipmonks, in my life. In the city where I live I've never seen a red one, only big gray ones. Which is the complete opposite of where my parents live where they saw their very first gray squirrel last week !!! The thing was BIG lemme tell you... must really make a lovely stew :D

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
used to see them as a lad at a dairy farm we lived on near milnathort. absolutely nixy fang doodle since then though.

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
In Thetford forest, out of my back window, about half an hour ago was the last time I saw one. I usually see at least one, once a week.:)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
If there are any red squirrels in South London they must also be invisible - never seen
one anywhere else either that I can remember. I might have, as a child, but to be
honest I wouldn't have cared that much. Would like to see one now though.

There's tons of them where I live (basically a residential forest). Although they are outnumbered by the greys, they are far more aggressive and skitter after them if they are in a pissey mood. I also have one nesting in my woodpile, we call him little red not only because of his colour but because he's a fiery little blighter :D .

M

mikehill

Never :(

Its now on my list though :) I was under the impression they were pretty well contained to only a few protected areas and i didnt realise they are so prevelent in the lakes. Thanks for the info all.....

I actually have only ever seen one in the Lakes .. in the woods around Braithwaite if that's any help :)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I just got back from a week near keswick in the lake district, and didn't see one despite really looking for them. Someone else in our group spotted on, though, and the locals say they come onto the ground just like the grey variety, so they can't be that hard to spot.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i ve seen one by lowswater in the lakes
but i was not really looking for them
a tree had been cut back i was looking at it as you do
there was a clicking noise i looked up and one was looking down at me
it then run off down the branch
i think reds like it in the trees more than the ground
that why you don't see them as much

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Seen plenty.
Under pressure from the greys now though.
It's thought by some of the squirrel groups that southerners are catching the greys in the garden and helpfully letting them out in lakeland woods. How else to explain the huge leaps in sightings from one area to another without a suitable woodland corridor.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE