Red Kites hunting worms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
they where behaving a bit like Eagles while they hunted worms.
to be honest i couldnt see they where worms until i downloaded the pics at home.
they where landing some distance away from me but i think you can see the worm hanging from his talons [i had to crop that one quite a bit].
people tell me thay are scavengers,but they hunt as well as they where catching worms a good 3 hours in front of me.

3ebabb4d.jpg

this one reminds me of the angel of the north
306efe35.jpg

9ec1bdc9.jpg

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
More of this please. Stunning.
Just noticed that the bird hasn't been ringed. Does this mean that it's not a released bird and they're breeding successfully?

Last edited:

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
More of this please. Stunning.
Just noticed that the bird hasn't been ringed. Does this mean that it's not a released bird and they're breeding successfully?

Yes indeed they are, they're gradually expanding their territory (along with their numbers) westward from the Chilterns and we now have them as far west as Wiltshire.

Last edited:

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Had a great experience with red kites in Spain. Not being a twitcher, didn't know what they were, so used the chirp app on my phone to see if I could work out what they were by their call. As I found their call on my phone, they started to respond to it and flock over head. Real shame I didn't have a good camera on me. Very impressive

just_john

Mar 22, 2012
South Wales
There are loads of these now up by me in Berkshire/South Bucks, see them every day and not only fields but above the trading estate at work as well!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Wonderful pictures :)

They're getting much braver round here (rockingham forest) on the roads, taking roadkill in rush hour traffic.

I've had a couple of close shaves recently driving to work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE